News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

I lost FTP and database details, how to get them?

Started by Drug Mile, June 12, 2019, 07:38:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Drug Mile

I'm an admin of my forum. Many years ago I set up everything and meanwhile lost password for FTP and database access. Is it possible to get it back just by using SMF? I know SMF has this details written somewhere since I can install mods, and forum is obviously still working (reading and writing to database). Is there a mod that can unhide this data for me?

SMF 2.0.2.

Illori

SMF will have the database details but not FTP. you would be best to ask your host for further assistance.

Sir Osis of Liver

You need cpanel access to find FTP account info, you'll have to reset password.  Same with database.  You can see db name and user in Server Settings, but not password.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Illori

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on June 12, 2019, 11:44:53 AM
You can see db name and user in Server Settings, but not password.

the password is in Settings.php file which after you get FTP/cpanel access you can view.

Sir Osis of Liver

We know that, but if OP just has admin access, he can't view Settings.php.  If he has cpanel access, he can reset db and ftp passwords, or edit Settings.php via ftp or filemanager, or use repair_settings.php.

- R. Waters

Illori

once you get access back, you also need to upgrade your SMF install to 2.0.15 ASAP.

Drug Mile

I'm trying to contact the guy who installed our forum, it wasn't me. I have no idea where it is hosted.

So, many years ago group of amateurs gathered. We needed some platform for comunication, and one of us said he has some hosting that he don't need. He installed forum, registered domain and gave me the keys. I had all access details then, but I lost it  :-[

Now this guy has gone also. He is paying the bills for hosting since he keeps his stuff here also, so the forum is running but nobody knows where and how. That is why I can not ask our provider. The only chance we have is if this guy sees our emails and respond to them. Who knows...

Meanwhile, we have forum that we are afraid to touch. In the past we installed many mods, deactivated many of them. Many of them have some conflicts and difficulties during installation, so I had to modify some lines manually every time I installed the mod. Now we are lucky that everything is still working.

I would like to fix this. If neccessary, I would start with clean installation, import existing database and continue from there. I downloaded dump file of our database, I see it does not contain any attachment. So it would be difficult to rebuild this forum on some other host without access to files.

What else I could do? Is there mod that can make complete backup/restore/clone of forums, including attachments? Searching keywords did not find it. Not looking for backup of themes, mods, manual adjustments, I can rebuild all of that by myself.

Kindred

in short - no.

To do anything with files and database, you really need access to the hosting account and/or FTP
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

How did you dump the database?

Link to your forum?

- R. Waters

Drug Mile

I performed database backup from admin cp. Unfortunately that's all I can do.

Link: http://www.perforum.info

AlanDewey

perforum.info   ip address is 178.218.172.36

This i.p. range is assigned to      Dhh D.o.o

Search Dhh D.o.o  and find   http://dhh.com.hr/

[email protected]

I can not read that language.   I can not tell if it is your host or not.

Good luck.
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Sir Osis of Liver

Wouldn't matter, even if you can identify the host, they won't give you access if you're not the owner of record.

Quote from: Drug Mile on June 13, 2019, 04:28:00 AM
I performed database backup from admin cp. Unfortunately that's all I can do.

Admin db backup is not reliable, but sometimes it works, and your db is not large.  It contains all of your forum's content, so you can rebuild the forum in your own host account if you were lucky and got a complete backup.

- R. Waters

vbgamer45

If you have access to package manager you can upload scripts such as a file manager/adminer for mysql to get more access to everything.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Drug Mile

I have access to package manager. What are those scripts, where to get them?

vbgamer45

Nothing is prebuilt you would have to write a custom mod to execute those actions.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Drug Mile

Quote from: vbgamer45 on June 14, 2019, 02:01:42 PM
Nothing is prebuilt you would have to write a custom mod to execute those actions.

I'm totally not ready to do that. I kinda hoped that there is already some mod that could download everything and then upload it to new installation of forum. I downloaded database several times using admin cp, it is only 12 MB and every time same size so I'm guessing it is complete. But then, there is no upload button. What exactly can I do with the .sql file? Except read it with text editor? If I start with new hosting, and get access to empty database, I would be able to upload .sql file that I just downloaded? If that is so, than I need only attachments to be copied to new location.

Sir Osis of Liver

If the database dump is complete, you can do a new 2.0.2 install on your own host account, import the dump into the new database, and you'll be running 2.0.2 in Curve.  You'll have all your members, posts, pms, etc., only really important content you'll be missing is attachments.  If everything works, you can then upgrade to 2.0.15.  You'll have to install any mods you need (copy the installed list from Package Manager on your current forum), and any themes and customizations that have been added to production forum.  If you're sufficiently intent, you can copy theme templates and css using admin theme editor (good luck with that), but you'd have to manually d/l custom images off the current install (better you than me).

If it'll help, I can take a look at the database and see if it's useable, otherwise you'll be wasting your time.

- R. Waters

Drug Mile

Thanks, maybe that will do the trick. After setting up forum on new location, I could ask existing provider that Alan found to hand us attachments folder.

AlanDewey

I suggest you first contact your host.     Maybe the person that "He installed forum, registered domain and gave me the keys"  gave the host your information as one of the official contacts.  If he did, then the host may help you.

If that does not help, then contact the registrar.  The name perforum.info is registered with www.tucows.com.  At a minimum, that other person, is supposed to keep his contact information current with the registrar.  If he did, then they can contact him for you. 

The host & registrar will never give out any information unless the official registrant tells them to do so.    But there is a very small chance that a few emails will get you in contact with "the other person."   

If the 'other person' does not get in contact with you, then your only hope is to try the suggestions the other helpful people have given above. 
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Drug Mile

Thank you all. I got everything I need from hosting provider.

Advertisement: