News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Text Deletes on Error

Started by TheDro, June 16, 2019, 02:47:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheDro

I have just signed up for this forum (classicwinnebagos.com / forum) and I typed out a huge post and then submitted some images but because the image was too large it gave me an error and deleted all my text. I mentioned it to them in the forum (/forum / index.php?topic=14957) but it seems like it's a known issue and everyone is just copying the text in case that happens. Is this a bug in the software or just their site? Also, how would this be fixed if there's a way I can tell them?

Sesquipedalian

It's not a bug so much as an inherent limitation of the way posting things on the Internet naturally works. The server running the forum software has no idea what you are typing on your local computer until your browser sends the information to it. So if something goes wrong with sending that information, there's nothing the server can do.

That said, in SMF 2.1 we have implemented an automated "drafts" system to help work around this limitation. Basically, this system tells your browser to periodically submit whatever you have written so far so that the server can save that as a draft. Then if anything goes wrong, you can restore the last saved draft in order to get back (almost) everything you had written. The drafts are automatically deleted when no longer needed.
I promise you nothing.

Sesqu... Sesqui... what?
Sesquipedalian, the best word in the English language.

Advertisement: