Package Manager to install image files in ALL installed Themes

Started by Randem, June 18, 2019, 07:23:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randem

Using version 2.0.15. How can one get the Package Manager to install image files in all themes that are installed. Currently I can only get it to install the images in the default theme. I need theme in every them for the MOD to work properly in every theme. This line only works on the default them and it does not matter if another theme is active:

<require-dir name="Program/Images/image/" destination="$themedir" />

when I check-mark the other themes to install into it will only do code changes to files, not file coping to the other themes.

Is this something that Package Manager does not handle?
Scams - How to Protect Yourself
Why Professionals Should Not Use Free Email Accounts

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Randem

Well, I had to write a MOD to correct Package Manager for it was not installing Images, Languages or Templates to the selected themes at MOD install time if one selected Package Manager to do so. It basically only made code changes to some template files (basically one from my usage). So now with this MOD Package Manager will now do create-file, move-file, remove-file, create-dir, remove-dir,  move-dir, require-file, require-dir to the selected installed themes.

Always ignore those who attempt to tell you what to think and believe those who will allow you think for yourself

Kindred

If that's so, then you must have broken it at some point, since all of those are dealt with correctly in the default installation....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Randem

No, but nice of you to blame me... It is simple to recreate if you just really want to find out and not just blame people. You have no idea of what I am referring to do you? In a new installation (which I must have broken at some point BEFORE the download...) it operate the same in 2.0.15, RC1 and RC2 and it would be very clear to see the difference in the MOD I created. I prefer proof over speculation...

Kindred

Hey, all I know is that I have installed about 200 mods into several forums and they have always properly copied files into the correct directories for each theme that I chose to install it into.... (proof)

I don't know what you did differently, but it never performed the way you describe for me, over the past 10 years...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Randem

It couldn't have... There is an inherent problem in the coding in 2.0.15, RC1 and RC2 which would prevent that from happening at all and it is still overlooked. It is simple to recreate but you have to know what you are looking for... Why do you think no one answered my original post if it were as simple as you say? They all come a running, but not to help...

Illori

you do know that we all have real lives and not everyone can come and run to a topic when it is not even 24 hours old?

Randem

Yes, I do. But it seems like the first response is always blame and ridicule... Surely that can be better. No?

Randem

And back to the actual topic. I have went back to version 2.0.5 and the same situation is still present. That is the last version that I have available. I will acquire older version to test.

Randem

It is actually the same ever since the introduction of version 2.0

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
// Randem Systems "PackageManagerFix" Installation Instructions ver 1.x
// SMF mod package for use with the Simple Machines Forum versions 2.0 AND 2.1 RC1, 2.1 RC2, PHP, mySQL & Apache
// For more information and support.
//
// Author - Randem (http://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?action=profile;u=384160)
//
// Randem Systems Website: https://randemsystems.com
// Randem Systems Support: https://randemsystems.com/support/
/////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Mod Information:
For SMF 2.0.x

PackageManagerFix is designed to assist you in porting your MOD installation to other installed themes. The current Package Manager does not copy image or language files and folder to the other installed themes, only to the default theme which if you were using any other theme than the SMF default theme
your MOD would not work correctly if it used images, templates or language files from the install.

The PackageManagerFix MOD fixes ONLY this issue.

To see the difference:

You must have more than 1 theme installed.
Attempt to install a MOD that updates at least one portion of a theme (I.E. Icons, Lanaguage or Images), but do not completely install it. Just click thru the first install button but not the second.
Note the area at the bottom of the screen that refers to other themes. Note the number of items it actually updates.
Install The Package Manager Fix, then follow the above procedure again to see the difference.

It will be clear of what is missing from the original package manager.

Randem

The before and after visuals (the proof):

Clean install with only two MODS uploaded. Multiple Themes.

What the Package Manager will install and change.

Installation of Package Manager MOD

What the Package Manager will NOW install and change.

shawnb61

I see the same as Kindred in my vanilla 2.0.15.  Image files end up in all the theme directories properly. 

However...  I see the package definition is different.  The ones that work don't use a destination to $themedir for images - instead I see $imagesdir as a destination for images.  Similarly, there is a $languagedir

More here:
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Package-info.xml

Have you tried using these?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Randem

Aloha shawnb61,

Yes, I use $languagedir and $themesdir but not $imagedir. Let see if that clears up the issue.

Thanks

Randem

Using the $imagesdir directive, the images get where they should be in all the selected themes but the language and template files do not go to all the selected themes with the $languagedir and $themedir directives. Those files only go to the default Theme and language folders...

Arantor

Working as designed. There is no need to spray copies of language files and templates in every theme when SMF will happily fall back to fetching from the default theme without any help. Also I'd suggest putting all the language files in a folder and installing that (loadLanguage is fine with this) so you only have to write one install and uninstall line.

Also, for images and so on, I habitually used $themes_dir/default specifically to get one copy installed and just point to the images directory since users are not good at installing on other themes and then report bugs.

Randem

Advertisement: