News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Problem with external question

Started by Jimmkos, June 29, 2019, 02:26:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jimmkos

Hello all,
a friend of mine is running a smf forum.
Im trying to to connect with his database from my own server (Windows) with asp scripting but Im always getting the following error

[MySQL][ODBC 5.3(w) Driver]Unknown character set: 'utf8mb4'

The connection string Im using is the following

Driver={MySQL ODBC 5.3 UNICODE Driver}; Server=<IP>; uid=<Username>; pwd=<Password>; database=<database>; option=3; port=3306;

Can anyone tell me whats wrong?

Thank you for your time!

Jimmkos

The title should be "Problem with external server"

My bad, Im sorry.

Kindred

I don't believe that SMF supports that sort of connection....

Also, running two sites, with different connections on the same database just won't work... ever
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jimmkos

Can you show me a connection sample smf is using?

Kindred

well, it's not actually an SMF issue... it's an issue with your server(s) and the versions they are using

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/21911733/error-1115-42000-unknown-character-set-utf8mb4
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Jimmkos

When saying "versions", you mean smf ones?

GigaWatt

No, he means the MySQL version on the server ;).

A quote from the link Kindred shared.

QuoteYour version does not support that character set, I believe it was 5.5.3 that introduced it. You should upgrade your mysql to the version you used to export this file.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: