[preview] Tsunami theme

Started by Bloc, July 01, 2019, 07:13:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloc

Sharing some screenshots from a free SMF theme I am working on, inspired by working with CSS grid on unrelated projects. Will be both for SMF 2.0 and 2.1.

Tricky-Ricky

Looking good so far very clean.

SychO

Clean indeed, I love that, hope we'll be able to see a demo soon.

nicely done.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Bloc

Thanks, guys. :) Yes, demo will be up soon, need to finish a few more major templates first.

I am using Github for development(private repo so far but will be changed) so when its ready for release, that will be the place to download releases. It will also allow me to keep together the versions for 2.0 & 2.1 + track bugs for the individual versions correctly, through Github.

Tricky-Ricky

Well its real nice to see that Smf has some real dedicated developers that are still creating fantastic templates and mods as SychO said looking forward to demo and testing.

Biology Forums

Holy CRAP, bloc is back. Just a few things I noticed:

Bloc

Thanks, I didn't notice them. :)

-Rock Lee-

Oh it looks pretty interesting, I like it. Great job @Bloc!

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Alpay

Bloc

Posting a new screenshot as it progresses..still a lot to do, but its getting there.

Biology Forums

Bloc

A small update....and perhaps a shift in development?

Changed several templates(8 so far) with significant enough code changes that makes it necessary to also change several others - since it use new HTML and CSS code. I am wondering if its time to just jump the ship on SMF 2.0.x and go straight for SMF 2.1? Benefits are that its more modern code in 2.1 and hopefully, less to change for my purposes. My main problem is that the SMF 2.0 theme code isn't optimised to be re-usable over many templates(like a standard way of showing topics or posts for example). I've faced this before in earlier SMF 2.0.x themes and always landed for changing only the major templates and then provide CSS for the rest that at least makes it usable. But this time I am pursuing using better CSS AND Html as well as mobile-friendly code so the need arise to change more this time...

Then again, if its also necessary to do this in SMF 2.1 it might not make a difference, I got my work cut out regardless :D Anyways, anyone with some thoughts on this, feel free to air them.

Bloc

:-\ It looks like the exact same setup in 2.1, meaning its all the same where I start.. Gonna look into Elkarte too, to see if its any different there.

Antechinus

Not much different, although IMO some of the coding is nicer in some ways.

Theme looks good anyway. I notice you've gone back for rounding corners on buttons, etc. I knew people would be over the flat and square look sooner or later. :D

When themes were all square, because that was the easiest way to build them, everyone though rounded ones were awesome. As soon as rounded ones became easy to code, everyone suddenly creamed themselves over flat and square. Now it looks like the pendulum might be swinging back again (albeit with better typography and no bloody tables for layout).

Bloc

Nowadays it seems its not important anymore..well, less than before I guess. Rounded or not rounded, shadows etc. its a choice rather. I usually go for what I consider looks good :) but also a bit practical, at least for touch devices.

It seems I do have to make some common functions, the exchanging of duplicate template code is just time exhausting if you like to change something a bit more than a div here and there. At least if you plan to make more of them. (themes that is). Its also easier to track bugs once several templates share bits.

I see the 2.1 templates have chopped up things a little more, especially for mods to attach themselves into these I would imagine..but its still way too many templates that essentially are the same code, with minor differences. So, that will have to be done I guess. Keeping this strictly on Github though, thats probably better in every respect seeing this is rather experimental. :D

Biology Forums

The issue with 2.1 is that its released date is largely unknown. The only benefit to using 2.1 as a start point is that a lot of the styling is already done for you, namely the stuff the end user doesn't see, like the admin panels. I'd continue on the 2.0.x version, and if it gains traction, it can then be ported to 2.1, which I feel will be a lot easier to port because those damn background and header sprites are gone (for good!).

Bloc

Quote from: Study Force on August 06, 2019, 03:22:36 PM
The issue with 2.1 is that its released date is largely unknown. The only benefit to using 2.1 as a start point is that a lot of the styling is already done for you, namely the stuff the end user doesn't see, like the admin panels. I'd continue on the 2.0.x version, and if it gains traction, it can then be ported to 2.1, which I feel will be a lot easier to port because those damn background and header sprites are gone (for good!).

Sorry, forgot to reply to this. :)

Its really no issue whether I start with 2.0 or 2.1, I don't use the built-in styles anyway - that includes also admin templates/styles.
I did continue with the 2.0 version and expect to modify the 2.1 the same way: the styles are already "done" in the 2.0 version so its easier to modify the 2.1 templates the same way. This first version won't see so many templates being put into "general" templates as I plan to, but later ones will. First have to get the styling - and glitches - in place.

Advertisement: