News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

1.1.13 forum update problems need help

Started by mobile_bob, March 02, 2021, 10:05:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mobile_bob

i don't know where to go so i come here with hat in hand

we have a forum using simplemachines version 1.1.13 and we are hosted with hostmonster

we need to get the forum upgraded badly, i have not been able to do a backup for over a year now
and don't know why.

so my question is simply this

is there anyone here that could do the upgrade for our forum?  for a prepaid fee?

we are getting desperate and i am willing to pay for the service as i don't have a clue how to go about doing this

the forum in question  "microcogen.info"

any help would be appreciated
and if i have posted this in the wrong place, please either let me know or move the topic to where it is appropriate.

thanks
bob g

shadav

if you are unable to create a backup in your hosting account, you really need to contact your host, hostmonster about that because that's just bad customer service

as for the upgrade, well there are two options, but both should be done after creating a backup just in case

you can either use
https://custom.simplemachines.org/upgrades/
and upgrade one by one until you are up to the current version

or you can use the large upgrade package
https://download.simplemachines.org/
and then you will need to reinstall any mods, which since you are using 1.1.x you're going to have to reinstall some mods anyways

either way, before either upgrading yourself or paying someone else to do it, you really need to take care of your hosting issue to be able to create a backup first

Antechinus

It's not really worth going through the patches one by one, since the change from 1.1.x to 2.0.x will involve a large upgrade pack anyway. Less hassle to just do it in one hit for this particular case.

Re the backups: I'm wondering if the OP is trying to back up via SMF admin. That is known to fail once the database size gets up a bit. The site has 35,000 posts, and offhand I can't mentally convert that to db size, but I suspect it's getting to the size when the admin backup tool might play up on some hosts.

If it's just a case of learning how to do backups via cPanel (or whatever the host supplies) that should be easy to arrange.

ETA: Incidentally, from a quick look around it appears Hostmonster only gets good reviews from people who are making money out of promoting it.

Sir Osis of Liver

Hostmonster. :P  Just helped another account move off them.

If you need assistance, drop me a pm.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Doug Heffernan

An update. @mobile_bob contacted me and this has been taken care of. All the errors have been fixed and the forum has been upgraded successfully to Smf 2.1.1. Marking this as solved.

mobile_bob

problem solved!

contacted forum member Doug Heffernan and he kicks butt!
got the forum fixed and upgraded!

could not be happier

thanks Doug!

Advertisement: