Data too long

Started by efk, July 10, 2019, 06:02:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

efk

This appears when changing karma to someone for 50 000 for example, also happens if using too long link avatar (this bellow is for too long link)

Database Error
Data too long for column 'avatar' at row 1
File: /daten/www/dota.eurobattle.net/public/la/forum/Sources/Subs.php
Line: 547

Note: It appears that your database may require an upgrade.
Your forum's files are currently at version SMF 2.0.15, while your database is at version 2.0.10.
The above error might possibly go away if you execute the latest version of upgrade.php.

vbgamer45

Do you have an example of long avatar link?
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

efk

From deviantart
https://www.deviantart.com/zetrag99/art/Pikachu-L-805116376

https://images-wixmp-ed30a86b8c4ca887773594c2.wixmp.com/f/7a1c2fc9-5538-49b8-8c7b-00410ec06b36/ddbcfrs-4f0cf0a6-4ef5-4b55-9d52-a485ca4b9e12.jpg/v1/fill/w_894,h_894,q_70,strp/pikachu_l_by_zetrag99_ddbcfrs-pre.jpg?token=eyJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJhbGciOiJIUzI1NiJ9.eyJzdWIiOiJ1cm46YXBwOjdlMGQxODg5ODIyNjQzNzNhNWYwZDQxNWVhMGQyNmUwIiwiaXNzIjoidXJuOmFwcDo3ZTBkMTg4OTgyMjY0MzczYTVmMGQ0MTVlYTBkMjZlMCIsIm9iaiI6W1t7ImhlaWdodCI6Ijw9MTI4MCIsInBhdGgiOiJcL2ZcLzdhMWMyZmM5LTU1MzgtNDliOC04YzdiLTAwNDEwZWMwNmIzNlwvZGRiY2Zycy00ZjBjZjBhNi00ZWY1LTRiNTUtOWQ1Mi1hNDg1Y2E0YjllMTIuanBnIiwid2lkdGgiOiI8PTEyODAifV1dLCJhdWQiOlsidXJuOnNlcnZpY2U6aW1hZ2Uub3BlcmF0aW9ucyJdfQ.APc3Lu1k6RP8TcwvSFcWRCdJw4Y7KzqExq1Uw-R7EFI

GigaWatt

Yeah, that's a pretty long link. If you really need this to work, try changing the length of the avatar column in the members table from varchar with a length of 255 to a varchar with a length of 510. If that doesn't work, try changing the data type to text ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kindred

that is some serious BS right there...

Looks like Deviant Art just screwed everyone over... I see a whole bunch of complaints as of Dec 2018 when they started changing their link format.

One site where they discussed the situation noted this:
Yeah, DeviantArt changed the URLs now so that they only last temporarily. There is no way to get a permanent direct link anymore, which is kind of frustrating. They might have done this to prevent art theft, or maybe it has to do with them changing the site and hopefully it's only temporary?

this matches with the inclusion of a "token" in the URL - and the fact that trying to display the image without that token results in a failure.

basically, Deviant Art has changed their content access and messed everything up.
In theory, even if you DON'T get the "too long" error, the avatar will stop working after some time anyway when the token expires.

edit: another report...   Looks like Wix screwed everything over.
https://deviantart.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/community/posts/360025050234-Sta-sh-image-addresses-are-horrid-now-
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

efk

Quote from: GigaWatt on July 11, 2019, 10:32:51 AM
Yeah, that's a pretty long link. If you really need this to work, try changing the length of the avatar column in the members table from varchar with a length of 255 to a varchar with a length of 510. If that doesn't work, try changing the data type to text ;).
Will check for that. Thanks, I guess that was what I was looking for, will ask friend to check.

About DeviantArt, I guess nothing can compare with what Photobucked did to its users and forums some time ago, not sure how bad is situation with DeviantArt but there are alternative ways to use images, at least they are there and can  be downloaded if nothing else. Anyway your post surprised me, for some time, maybe longer than a year I had problems with long links, not related with avatars, so in general, especially related with google search some links seems to be infinite.

GigaWatt

You can use mediafire to store large images ;). You can direct link images of any resolution up to a size of 3MB (I think, not really sure) ;).

But, there are some drawbacks. This only goes for JPG images, since mediafire's direct links are generated as sort of a symbolic link (it's not the actual file with a filename, rather a /random_string/random_string.jpg, but if you try to save the image displayed in the link, the browser gives you the original filename ;)). Which brings me to another problem, which is the direct link generator. No matter what extension the image has, the link always ends with .jpg, which shouldn't be a problem for browsers, but it apparently is, at least from mediafire's side. Not all PNG images are displayed when being linked like this. Some are, others not... don't know what triggers this behavior, and the number of PNG images that are not displayed is rather small (ballpark number, 3 or 4 out of 100), but I still wouldn't use it for PNGs. Haven't tried with GIFs, but once I uploaded a GIF and when viewing the direct link... yep, it ended with a .jpg ::)... so I just thought not to risk it and deleted the image and uploaded it on postimg ;).

In any case, at least for JPGs, it's pretty good :). It's got a 10GB free storage space, which is probably more than you'll ever need if you're just uploading images on the account ;).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Advertisement: