How to disable a member?

Started by IsauraS, July 11, 2019, 04:34:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

IsauraS

Hi everyone, new to the forum here. I checked the manual and couldn't find a way to disable an account without deleting or banning it. Is banning the only way to disable an account?

Kindred

well, it depends what you mean by "disable"

you can delete the account
you can ban the account

both of these will result in the user being unable to log in with that account.

You can set up a "disabled" user group with all permissions set to DENY...
This will result in the user being able to log in, but not do very much...  (anything that has a permission set to DENY will be refused)
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

IsauraS

By disabling I mean to turn it off, so they can't post. They can still view the forum, but can't login. I guess I could do that with a partial ban, or like you suggested create a group where I can move them to.

When you ban an account they can still view the forum, correct?

IsauraS

Which brings me to another question. I would like to create a group where people can go an post to be allowed in the forum. They can only post there, but they can view the whole forum. I noticed that the permissions are set to view the forum and that will automatically give them permission to post. Is there a way to do what I want?

Kindred

Well, it depends on the ban...   a full ban means that they can't even view the forum.

Are you actually running 2.1 RC?

as for your other question -- yes -- read the primer on permissions in the user manual/wiki.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

IsauraS

I am using version 2.0.15

and I just noticed I posted in the wrong board... duh

IsauraS

ok, now that this is in the correct board, how do I set up the permissions. I want to set up a group to be able to view and post in one board only, but still be able to view the rest of the forum. I did read though the manual, and I thought I had it, but it didn't work. I'm doing something wrong and it's probably an easy thing to solve, I just can't figure it out. Can someone help me?

GigaWatt

You have to create a new permission profile.

Admin --> Members --> Permissions --> Edit Profiles

In the Profile Name field, set the name for your new permission profile. In the Copy Permissions From field, select "Default". Click on Create and the new profile will be created. Now, click on the new profile. Different types of users will have different permissions inside the profile. Click on the Modify button in the Regular Members line. If the view mode is set to Simple, change it to Classic. Untick Post new topics, Post replies to topics: Own topic and Post replies to topics: Any topic. Click on Save Changes.

Now, go to Board Permissions.

Admin --> Members --> Permissions --> Board Permissions

On the left of every line, you can see the board's name. On the right, you can see the permission profile that the board is currently using. Click on the board that you'd like user's to have read only rights and in the Permission Profile field, select the newly created permission profile. In the Allowed Groups section, make sure that Regular Members and the post count based groups are ticked (moderators should also probably be ticked, guests... per your liking). Afterwards, click the Modify button.

Done :). That board now has read only privileges for users :). Repeat the second part for every other board that you'd like to have read only privileges for regular users :).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

IsauraS

That did it! I've set up the forum now so new players can post in one board only!

Thank you so much for your help!

GigaWatt

"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Kiriakos GR

Quote from: IsauraS on July 14, 2019, 04:10:43 PM
That did it! I've set up the forum now so new players can post in one board only!

Thank you so much for your help!

Beware that SPAM bots will play with PM function too.
I would BAN anyone that I do not trust, so to protect the many.

Kindred

congratulations on failing to read, once again, Kiriakos

Even if spam was the reason that he was limiting the access, there are 100 better ways to deal with it rather than over-using the ban system.

Слaва
Украинi

Advertisement: