News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Ignore users + their quotes too

Started by natcip, July 12, 2019, 01:30:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chief of Nothing

Quote from: Karmaster on June 01, 2022, 03:58:39 PMPS: Why you all are so obsessed with quotes ?

Because that's what the OP asked for, to hide the entire quote by an ignored user.

Steve

@Karmaster - the bottom line is this:

1) Despite your belief otherwise, there is no easy way to do this.

2) ANY method used will be computationally expensive.

If Arantor says that's how it is, that's how it is. Accept it.
DO NOT pm me for support!

Doug Heffernan

Quote from: Steve on June 02, 2022, 06:07:15 AMIf Arantor says that's how it is, that's how it is. Accept it.

@Karmaster does not have to accept anything only because Arantor says that 's how it is. That is Arantor 's opinion only, and not the absolute truth that 'should be absolutely accepted by everyone'.

Arantor

Completely agree, though I appreciate the sentiment of trust. But here's the thing, multiple former members of the SMF dev team (not just me, and one of whom was lead developer, also not me) are saying the same thing.

I'd love to be proven wrong. That's how competition works, the drive to do better. Some of the better improvements in SMF (and the wider forum world) came out of "can't be done" being proven wrong.

Like I said, Karmaster insists we must be wrong, show us.

Karmasterrr

Aaaahhhhh, I see, thinking is computationally expensive!  :laugh:

Arantor

Sure, that's the point. Programming is the art of figuring out what steps you need to take, coding is the art of writing the steps down in a way the computer can follow. The latter is *much* easier than the former.

Steve

Quote from: Doug Heffernan on June 02, 2022, 06:50:38 AM
Quote from: Steve on June 02, 2022, 06:07:15 AMIf Arantor says that's how it is, that's how it is. Accept it.

@Karmaster does not have to accept anything only because Arantor says that 's how it is. That is Arantor 's opinion only, and not the absolute truth that 'should be absolutely accepted by everyone'.
That statement was meant to be my opinion. If I had previewed my post I would have realized I left out a word ... the first sentence should have read 'If Arantor says that's how it is,, that's probably how it is.

I've known him a long time (at least 8 years, if not more) and am familiar with his history of SMF development and it's been rare that I've seen him wrong. In this case he's not in my opinion.
DO NOT pm me for support!

FrizzleFried

I just want to point out that while others were sitting around discussing how it was likely possible to eliminate the upload button in the attachments section ... brother @Karmaster here manage to actually get it done.  Now,  evidently the code needed a little tweaking to work as smoothly as possible, but I digress... it worked.

I,  for one,  look forward to any steps forward on this issue.  One of the first gripes I lodged here was the inability of the ignore function to ... actually ignore.  ;)

EDIT: Oh,  and anyone who has spent any time here knows that Arantor is arguably one of the most knowledgeable people (if not THE most) in RE: to SMF that frequents this site.

Advertisement: