News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

No Member Rights on Start Page

Started by giorgio69, July 12, 2019, 04:17:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

giorgio69

Hello, community

How and where to set the rights accordingly so that not members of the forum on the start page, although the categories can see / read but beyond that can not click on.
This should only be possible if they have registered as a member in advance.
I use SMF 2.0 15

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

SMF hides what you can not access. This would require a modification.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

giorgio69

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on July 12, 2019, 04:20:46 AM
SMF hides what you can not access. This would require a modification.

is the modification complicated? Is this a guide?

@rjen

Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

Kindred

As a general note, this is not a good idea. (there is a reason why SMF does not allow this by default)

"teasing" users with information and then requiring them to register in order to even see the information is a poor user experience and results in many, if not most users leaving the site and never coming back.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

giorgio69

Quote from: Kindred on July 12, 2019, 09:59:58 AM
As a general note, this is not a good idea. (there is a reason why SMF does not allow this by default)

"teasing" users with information and then requiring them to register in order to even see the information is a poor user experience and results in many, if not most users leaving the site and never coming back.

I know what you mean... but
it is a forum for political party members..
thats why.

Kindred

... and?

I'm not sure why that changes anything.

either show them what actions they can complete or don't.

Having a closed forum is fine...   it's the "tease" that loses your users' interest.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

giorgio69

...topics such as the party program and a lot of internal topics are discussed.

the visible categories are intended to encourage interested people to become party members in order to participate in these topics.

Kindred

So, why not let them READ some open boards with posts/discussions?
They would have to join to post a response, and after that, (e.g. after 3 posts in the open section) they would automatically get access to the other, "hidden" sections.

that way, there's no teasing, you see what you can access and don't see what you can't...
Слaва
Украинi

giorgio69

Quote from: Kindred on July 12, 2019, 04:54:16 PM
So, why not let them READ some open boards with posts/discussions?
They would have to join to post a response, and after that, (e.g. after 3 posts in the open section) they would automatically get access to the other, "hidden" sections.

that way, there's no teasing, you see what you can access and don't see what you can't...

That would be a good alternative. How do I set, for example, that after 3 posts, the status of Personb automatically changes?

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

You would do that by using the post count groups. Everyone will belong to at least 2 groups, one based on their post count, and one configurable ( if none, then "regular member" ).
Membergroups
Permissions
Boards
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: