News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Links in quoted text

Started by SethStudent, July 19, 2019, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethStudent

Hi there. I've made a copy of my active forum in a subdirectory so I could do a trial run on updating to 2.1, and to see what's new.

I had also done a test a year or two ago with one of the beta versions, and I could swear the links in quoted text were what I would call universal: I could take a quote from my forum and paste it into another forum or Facebook and the link would contain the complete URL, something like this:

[quote="[url=https://speakingofseth.com/index.php?msg=12914]Name[/url]"]
if I become demented, that is a reality I have created. Many people are afraid of dementia.
[/quote]

But I see in RC2, taking a quote now looks like this:

[quote author=Name link=msg=12914 date=1561864908]
if I become demented, that is a reality I have created. Many people are afraid of dementia.
[/quote]

Has this universal quoting been shelved? Or is this a setting I haven't found yet?

I quote from my forum quite often on Facebook, blogs, other forums, and so having the universal quote link is a great advantage over having to fix each quote by hand.

Arantor

Both are supported, yes, but I don't think it's ever been default to issue quotes line the first example - everything I've ever worked on for SMF (which dates back to pre-releases of 1.1 in 2006) issued quotes in the second format either exactly or almost exactly like that - the default used to be link=topic=1234.msg567 in the middle, but changed to just msg=567 because that works better when splitting topics.

If you had it before as 'standard' that was a mod, because it's never been standard nor is there a setting for it.

Advertisement: