News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Links in quoted text

Started by SethStudent, July 19, 2019, 03:59:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SethStudent

Hi there. I've made a copy of my active forum in a subdirectory so I could do a trial run on updating to 2.1, and to see what's new.

I had also done a test a year or two ago with one of the beta versions, and I could swear the links in quoted text were what I would call universal: I could take a quote from my forum and paste it into another forum or Facebook and the link would contain the complete URL, something like this:

[quote="[url=https://speakingofseth.com/index.php?msg=12914]Name[/url]"]
if I become demented, that is a reality I have created. Many people are afraid of dementia.
[/quote]

But I see in RC2, taking a quote now looks like this:

[quote author=Name link=msg=12914 date=1561864908]
if I become demented, that is a reality I have created. Many people are afraid of dementia.
[/quote]

Has this universal quoting been shelved? Or is this a setting I haven't found yet?

I quote from my forum quite often on Facebook, blogs, other forums, and so having the universal quote link is a great advantage over having to fix each quote by hand.

Arantor

Both are supported, yes, but I don't think it's ever been default to issue quotes line the first example - everything I've ever worked on for SMF (which dates back to pre-releases of 1.1 in 2006) issued quotes in the second format either exactly or almost exactly like that - the default used to be link=topic=1234.msg567 in the middle, but changed to just msg=567 because that works better when splitting topics.

If you had it before as 'standard' that was a mod, because it's never been standard nor is there a setting for it.

Advertisement: