News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Formating lost

Started by fjgh, July 20, 2019, 08:32:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fjgh

I set up 12 smf 2.0.13 forums a year ago.  They were installed as shown in the doc's.  They worked as they should.  Recently I tried to configure them for  working domains.  The browser I was using when I set them up was an older version of FireFox.  It rendered ok in that browser back when I set up the forums. 

Now when I use the same version browser, after configuring the forums for a new domain, the browser doesn't render the site with it's default formatting.  I get a text only rendering of the forum site.  On a newer version of Firefox it seems to render as it is supposed to.  The site looks normal.

Why would using the same exact FF version browser render the site differently now after doing  minimal configuration change.  I expect a lot of visitors to the site will be using older browsers because they are using older computers.  I would like to find a solution to the problem.

If you need to see the pages I can do screen prints if you want them.  Let me know if you need them.  I also suspect FF may have been "updating" the browser without indicating they are doing it.  FF is getting like Microsoft.  FF seems to upgrade their browsers with out revealing they are updating as if it was none of my business what they are doing in the background on my computers.

(BTW....I am using the same old FF browser now and I have normal rendering for this site)

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Could give me a link to see what's up? (No, screenshots will not do)

Alternatively, you may want to try repair_settings and check all paths and urls manually
What is repair_settings.php?
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

fjgh

Ok, here is one of the SMF forums that has the domain name change but has no forums set up yet.  It has the problem but unless you have FF ver 52 or something like that, you probably aren't going to see the text formatting.
Url=  http://community.web2.us [nofollow]

Edit:  Well that's weird.  The problem occurs with a current FF browser but I have to reload the url a second time to see the problem.

Arantor

So you have the site set up as community.web2.us but the stylesheet is configured to be http://smf3.web2.us/Themes/default/css/index.css?fin20 - which returns a file not found error.

repair_settings.php will be able to fix this for you - What is repair_settings.php?

fjgh

Ok, I will try it.  The 12 forums were originally setup with the domains  smf1.web2.us [nofollow].....smf12.web2.us.  I just went into the config page yesterday and changed the domain names after I changed the host names on the server.

Are there some instructions somewhere that shows all the stuff that has to be changed if you change the domain url or is the style url the only one?

Arantor

You need to configure each theme you have as well - each theme contains the URLs to its style sheets and to the images in the theme, and community.web2.us still thinks the theme files live at smf3.web2.us.

fjgh

Well that's a clever tool.  I added the php file into all 12 site folders which was easy since the server is in front of me.  But it will take some time to change everything.  Thanks for your help.

fjgh

Here's a question that occurred to me now that I know what's going on.  Is there a reason why the developers didn't use relative addressing from the main url for all those other urls used?  That way all the urls would follow a change in the site url???  Everything is in the same directory for that to work??

Arantor

Yes, there's a reason - aside from some of the engine internals needing to know absolute URLs for certain rewrites that get done - it also lets you put the images and CSS onto a CDN and serve them without cookies for performance.

This site, for example, isn't serving the theme CSS from https://www.simplemachines.org/community/Themes/default/css/index.css but instead from https://static.simplemachinesweb.com/smf/default/css/index.css?fnl - the saving of the few hundred bytes that would be consumed by cookies and other similar headers is surprising.

fjgh

ok makes sense for the reasons you gave.  Next time I change domains I will change everything else with it.  Thanks again.

fjgh

Corrected the urls on one domain and site works as it should now.  Great help on this site.

fjgh

Ok I made the changes to 6 of the forum sites, (6 are not used yet) and they all work like I would expect.  All format errors are gone. 

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Glad to hear you got it sorted, and apparently learned something of SMF in the process too :) Once you no longer need the tool, be sure to delete it from the server.
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: