Forum not loading on start page..but OK on forum path?

Started by Ed2, July 21, 2019, 11:33:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ed2

My forum is not loading properly with the start page:

www.RustyBowtie.com

but if I hit the forum link it works fine:

http://rustybowtie.com/index.php?action=forum

Any ideas on how to correct the problem?

Sir Osis of Liver

Not on my computer, but from what I can see on my reader, action=forum looks like a portal problem.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Ed2

Thanks but isn't the action=forum link is working fine?

GigaWatt

You don't have a www redirect in .htaccess, that's why it's not loading ;). Try and load http://rustybowtie.com/ it works just fine :).

Though, I have to say that loading is slow... maybe there is problem with the portal ???.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Ed2

Thanks GigaWatt...where is folder .htaccess located?  I'll make adjustments after I get home from work.

FYI: Forum has been working great for years now...and I didn't make any changes.

GigaWatt

It's a file and it should be located in your forum's root. If you don't have one, just create one (it's a plain text file).
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Sir Osis of Liver

That's odd, should work either way.  All three of these will load -

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/
www.simplemachines.org/community/
simplemachines.org/community/

And it's not case sensitive.  Same with my forums.  Something in server config?

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Yes, that's server specific - some servers will load either and smf will redirect to the desired one, some servers will only load one of them in which case you need to do a redirect to the right one on the server. ( Technically www. is a subdomain )
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ed2

Just got home from work....can one of you folks be contracted to repair the forum?  (ie paypal)

Ed

Sir Osis of Liver

PM cpanel access (url/user/pw), I'll have a look.

- R. Waters

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Quote from: Ed2 on July 22, 2019, 09:16:48 PM
Just got home from work....can one of you folks be contracted to repair the forum?  (ie paypal)

Ed
You should only need a redirect. Did you get this sorted already?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Ed2

Sorry for not responding earlier but Sir Osis of Liver figured out the problem!  I'm good to go Thanks!

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

Was a bad link in portal block, rss feed that had been working but went down at source.  For reasons unknown, it caused urls to front page to fail.  SP was configured to display only on front page, so linking directly to forum worked.  Deactivated block, problem cleared.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: