News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

[Preview][2.1] RDD (playground)

Started by Antes, August 14, 2019, 10:36:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antes

Ohai...

Its been some time since I started to work on a new theme... while yes this is not a new theme its 100% based on RDD theme of mine but for 2.1 this time with a small tech change.

As you know (or don't know) SMF 2.1's display system based on flexbox, while I also personally like the flexbox, this time I just wanted to try something different ... not entirely but different. So, I used grid system in RDD(2.1)*. One thing for sure, I have no idea how broken this theme will be in mod wise especially the Portal mods :P so not much of a theme for end-users but still nice to work with.

At this time around, I don't have any link for anyone to test it out but I'll leave a small screenshot to demonstrate the current state of the theme.

* You can read more about Grid in here : https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/complete-guide-grid/

Biology Forums

I think I'm negatively biased towards black backgrounds because I *always* have my screen backlight set to its lowest. Could you adapt a brighter (or white) background instead?

Antes

Quote from: Study Force on August 14, 2019, 11:26:46 AM
I think I'm negatively biased towards black backgrounds because I *always* have my screen backlight set to its lowest. Could you adapt a brighter (or white) background instead?

Not for this one. next ones? Maybe, but highly unlikely...

Biology Forums

Also, if I could add, using a font other than the usual ones really improves the optics. Try using Open Sans -- it's readily available as a Google font.

SychO

hold on, Segoe UI is a very good font as well, changing the font isn't always the way to go, you just gotta figure out how to make good use of a font, is what I think.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Antechinus

Quote from: Study Force on August 14, 2019, 12:55:03 PM
Also, if I could add, using a font other than the usual ones really improves the optics. Try using Open Sans -- it's readily available as a Google font.

In other words, these days it's one of the usual ones.

Quote from: SychO on August 14, 2019, 01:01:19 PM
hold on, Segoe UI is a very good font as well, changing the font isn't always the way to go, you just gotta figure out how to make good use of a font, is what I think.

Sure it's a good font, but it's only available by default on a limited range of boxes. You'll still need a backup stack.

Bloc

Antechinus

I must get around to playing with it sometime. Flex is useful, but can also be a PITA with child elements.

ETA: It's rather funny that CSS grid is effectively trying to make tables that aren't tables. :D

Bloc

Quote from: Antechinus on August 14, 2019, 06:24:25 PM
I must get around to playing with it sometime. Flex is useful, but can also be a PITA with child elements.

ETA: It's rather funny that CSS grid is effectively trying to make tables that aren't tables. :D

That's because we are all used to using the table tag for layout..which it was never intended for. Stupid us lol.

Flex are also useful, especially for pure horizontal items, there are attributes with flexbox that can't easily be mimicked in css grid. So they complement each other.

-Rock Lee-

I wish I could have it installed to see it in its entirety, it's great @Antes hope to see it finished.

Regards!
¡Regresando como cual Fenix! ~ Bomber Code
Ayudas - Aportes - Tutoriales - Y mucho mas!!!

Antes

Quote from: Rock Lee on August 19, 2019, 03:27:54 PM
I wish I could have it installed to see it in its entirety, it's great @Antes hope to see it finished.

Regards!

Not much to see, I only finished the home page to demonstrate, hopefully I'll make it ready for first draft soon(TM), but I have a paper in my hand to finish so my focus will be that.

Advertisement: