News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Board Category Permissions Change?

Started by flussaudio, August 15, 2019, 09:19:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

flussaudio

New SMF user, just converted from a fresh phpBB install to 2.0.15.

In the original phpBB forum, I had a Category which had permissions that would be inherited by every subforum.  Seems that SMF isn't operating in that way, or I'm missing something.  The category converted properly, I just can't see a way to apply permissions to it as a Parent.  Can someone advise if such a thing is possible?  If so, where do I find those settings?

Basically, I need a forum Administrative section that can be publicly hidden, seen by site moderators and admins only, and inheritable by future subforums as I need to add them.

Possible?

Thanks in advance!

Illori

what do you mean by inheritable by future subforums?

SMF does not have a way to inherit access rules, only permissions in a permission profile.

flussaudio

In the admin CP, when creating or modifying a forum, one can select a variety of permissions and sets.  New forums can be based on those 'parent' permissions.  That option does not seem to be present for the 'Category'.

Again, I want to keep the Admin section hidden from the general public, viewable by only site admins.

Illori

categories have no permissions on their own.

boards have permission for what can be done in them by the users with access, if a profile is selected this can be used by other boards.
access or allowed groups is per board, not category.

you cannot inherit the allow groups to other boards.

flussaudio

Ok, so the structure is just different.

So then, to accomplish what I want, I'll just create a *forum* that's only visible to moderators/admins, and then move the existing two forums into that.

Thanks!

Illori

why not just use the access restrictions? they work well and cannot be "broken" into.

we have many private boards here and the normal users cannot view them or access them in anyway.

Kindred

e.g. read the wiki on board permissions profiles....

set the permissions in a new profile for the groups that you want...    then assign that profile to the board(s)
also, in the boards, uncheck the groups that you don't want to have access.  Tada...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Advertisement: