News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Stop replies to pm notifications?

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, August 14, 2019, 10:29:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

One of my guys occasionally receives emails containing pms to other members.  Just happened again, and now I know why.  He is admin and his email address is webmaster address.  Member receives pm notification, ignores the bit about not replying, and replies to email, apparently believing he's replying to pm.  Reply is emailed to webmaster address, and admin receives it.  Is there any way to prevent this?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Sir Osis of Liver

Don't think that will help, there's already a link to the pm in the notification, and a message not to reply.  If they're not seeing the link and/or not reading the message, changing it won't do much good.  It's a minor nuisance for admins, but for the member the pm dies, sender never receives a response.  A noreply email address just for notifications might be an idea, if it's doable.

- R. Waters

Kindred

Set the forum email address to a no-reply address...
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

a10

Removing the pm content would be very effective, there was a topic about this a while ago.
In my case, after making the text more dramatic, like
*** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ***
*** THIS IS ONLY A NOTIFICATION, LOG IN TO THE FORUM etc ***
things have been very quiet.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on August 15, 2019, 11:29:42 AM
Set the forum email address to a no-reply address...

Thought of that, but would it cause other problems?  Are there any situations where reply to webmaster email is necessary?

Quote from: a10 on August 15, 2019, 12:20:25 PM
Removing the pm content would be very effective, there was a topic about this a while ago.
In my case, after making the text more dramatic, like
*** DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL ***
*** THIS IS ONLY A NOTIFICATION, LOG IN TO THE FORUM etc ***
things have been very quiet.

I remove pm content on my own forums, maybe I'll do that here, that would force recipient to read/reply in forum.  Changing the message text is only effective if they read it, but may as well try that too.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Yes there are, actually... the "your forum is down" emails go to the same address and there isn't a UI for separating webmaster vs mail from email.

Advertisement: