News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Spell checking (Installing pspell library)

Started by Tye, November 16, 2005, 01:03:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tye

Hi there, I was hoping to enable the feature that my users can spell check. When I click to active Spell check the following message appears

Enable spell checking. You MUST have the pspell library installed on your server and your PHP configuration set up to use the pspell library. Your server DOES NOT appear to have this set up.

I am sure, I have to pspell library, and change my php configuration but How do I do this please help

redone

Upload the attached file and what does it tell you? From what your saying it needs compiling. Either your host can do this for you or obviously you will need to compile it to work correctly.

~redone

Tye

Where do I upload it to? and how would I compile it?

redone

Upload and run the file from e.g /forum/spell_test.php.

If you don't have your own server i.e you pay a hosting company they will need to compile pspell for you. Easily done by submitting a support ticket for someone to do this for you.

Run the spell_test file and tell us what it tells you. Simply type www.yoursite.com/forum/spell_test.php

~redone

Tye

I meant when using FTP, where exactly do I upload it to

Oldiesmann

Re-compile PHP with '--with-pspell' in the configuration command.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tye

I am confused, could you give me a step by step guide

redone

Assuming you are paying a webhost for your web space contact your webhost and ask them to compile php with pspell first. This needs doing before anything else really.

;)

~redone

Tye

ok and I am not paying them, though I'll ask PO.GS to do this for me

Oldiesmann

From a technical standpoint, this is a simple operation, so your host shouldn't have any problems with it.
Michael Eshom
Christian Metal Fans

Tye

Is it possible to do it yourself though through phpmyadmin?

redone

Tye

Ok thanks for your help  :), I have asked my host to compile php with pspell so there is nothing left for me to do but wait

redone

As Oldiesmann said its a pretty common and easy thing for your host to carry out for you. Good luck.

~redone

Advertisement: