News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Edit Forum Profile

Started by b4pjoe, August 18, 2019, 10:14:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

b4pjoe

Testing SMF 2.1 RC2.

If I try to edit something like the signature in my forum profile when I 'Save' I get the error "The following errors occurred when trying to save your profile: The mail validation check returned an error, you need to enter a valid email format (user@domain)."

There is nowhere in the Forum Profile where an email field even exists. In my account settings I do have a valid email in there. Even changed it to a different email and tried again and I still get the same error. Is this a known issue and/or is there a fix?

The only mod installed is Tiny Portal.

SychO

where did you download the package from ? what browser are you using ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Bigguy

You must have an old copy of 2.1 Mine works fine to edit any settings in the profile area.

b4pjoe

I got the download here from the SMF site.

I dowloaded the full install and installed a fresh install of SMF 2.1 RC2 and it works fine with that one.

I also made a copy of my live site running SMF 2.0.15 and then performed an upgrade to take it to SMF 2.1 RC2 using the large upgrade file downloaded from here at the SMF site. (just for testing...not on a live site) I did run upgrade.php after copying over the files from large upgrade. Everything else seems to be working fine. Just can't edit my Forum Profile. If I go back to my live site running SMF 2.0.15 I can edit my Forum Profile on it.

b4pjoe

Quote from: Bigguy on August 18, 2019, 01:54:44 PM
You must have an old copy of 2.1 Mine works fine to edit any settings in the profile area.

Just downloaded it yesterday from SMF site.

Bigguy

That will be an old copy I would think. Try a package from here and it should work better:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558451.0

SychO

Quote from: Bigguy on August 18, 2019, 02:28:08 PM
That will be an old copy I would think. Try a package from here and it should work better:

https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=558451.0

wait no, people should be using the official packages from SMsite, not github unless you really know what you're doing
Checkout My Themes:
-

b4pjoe

Quote from: SychO on August 18, 2019, 12:15:31 PM
where did you download the package from ? what browser are you using ?

I have tried Safari, Firefox, and Chrome.

Bigguy

Is the package from this site not an older version......I get what your saying.

Disregard that link and what I said b4pjoe.

b4pjoe

Quote from: Bigguy on August 18, 2019, 02:37:32 PM

Disregard that link and what I said b4pjoe.

OK thanks.

b4pjoe

Weird thing is every time I try to save my changes and it gives me the error the cursor is always placed in the field for Skype. Tried adding an email address in that field and still get the same error. Entering just a name in there also still gives me the same error.

SychO

Quote from: Bigguy on August 18, 2019, 02:37:32 PM

Well here's the thing, compared to github it is old, but it is the official RC2 release which has been tested very well before release, the code from github on the other hand is ongoing development, pull requests get merged all the time so it shouldn't be used in production :)

@b4pjoe any custom fields you're using in your install ? check in Admin -> Configuration -> Features & Options -> Profile Fields

and does it not show on the editing page ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

b4pjoe

It shows these and they are on the edit Forum Profile page but there is nothing entered in any of them.

Also it is not just my profile. I cannot edit any users 'Forum Profile'.

SychO

hmm, does any of those fields have Input Mask: set on 'Valid Email' ?
Checkout My Themes:
-

b4pjoe

Well you nailed it there. Yahoo Messenger was set to 'valid email' and that was generating the error though it seems since the field was blank it should not give an error. Just changed it to the same settings as the other custom fields (RegEx) and it now can save changes to the Forum Profile. Thank you.

b4pjoe

Just to add...SMF 2.0.15 has the Yahoo Messenger custom field set to 'valid email' and it does not give you that error when it is blank and you edit your Forum Profile. Also on a clean install of SMF 2.1 RC2 there is no custom field for Yahoo Messenger so that Custom Field came over from SMF 2.0.15.

SychO

Glad it's fixed, this however needs to be fixed for future releases, it shouldn't return an error if the field is left empty.

Issue has been added to the GitHub repo
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/5770
Checkout My Themes:
-

Advertisement: