News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Howto Download member data?

Started by paulkinzelman, August 20, 2019, 04:08:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

paulkinzelman

Sorry for the initial dumb question, but how do I tell which version of SMF I'm running to make sure I'm posting in the correct form? I couldn't find out how to do this in the FAQ. It's the 'belenmesa.smfforfree4.com' one.

As admin, is it possible to download all the member data in one big honkin' CSV file or something?
I didn't see that in the FAQ either or the manual.

TIA!

Sir Osis of Liver

SMF version should be in the copyright in footer, it's been removed.  Depending on how much admin access you're allowed, version is also in Admin -> Support and Credits.  You can export smf_members table from database as csv if you have access (quite sure you don't).  smfforfree is only suitable if you require rudimentary forum features, many admin functions are blocked, and you don't have access to forum files or database.  If you want to run and manage a serious forum, you need to go with paid hosting.  As with anything else, you get what you pay for.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Gary

Removal of the version number is fine, we don't stop people from doing that and still get support. 

However - OP, since you're using SMF For Free, we can't provide you with support, it's not a service that's owned by Simple Machines. Though like Sir Osis of Liver said, you're bound to have much of your functionality restricted and most certainly you're not going to have access to phpMyAdmin to export the smf_members table as needed.
Gary M. Gadsdon
Do NOT PM me unless I say so
War of the Simpsons
Bongo Comics Fan Forum
Youtube Let's Plays

^ YT is changing monetisation policy, help reach 1000 sub threshold.

Arantor

I'd also ask why - SMF out of the box comes with a way to send everyone a newsletter (which is the usual reason for doing it) but SMF For Free is super limited so...

vbgamer45

Yeah, i used to allow people to do newsletters. i still do as a paid addon but had to remove the option to enter user emails. I had spammers/phish people figure that out. Also had similar issue with mybb hosting that I run too
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

paulkinzelman

Thanks for the ideas!

I couldn't find the version from Admin->Support and Credits, doesn't seem to have the version number there. Seems like it should be easy to find no matter what version I'm running.

What I really want is to search the members by name, and the name doesn't appear in the searchable list. All I can search for is by email.

The forum really isn't active anymore, so I'd like to grab the database.

To what subscription would I need to upgrade to be able to download a CSV of the membership database?

vbgamer45

You would have to contact them to order a database export.
Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

You are using a crippled version of SMF, things are missing.  It's not a matter of upgrading, your host is restricting your access and which features you can use.  IIRC. smfforfree will sell you a db dump, but it will be incomplete, a dozen or so tables will be missing.  Members table should be there, you'll have to ask them.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

paulkinzelman

Sorry, I don't understand the relationship between simplemachines.org and smfforfree4.com [nofollow]
Whom would I contact for a member database extraction?

Arantor

simplemachines.org makes the software and gives it away to anyone to run on their own servers. simplemachines.org only runs the forum on simplemachines.org.

smfforfree.com is a service that runs the software, albeit modified. To get a database extraction contact smfforfree.com.

Advertisement: