News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Visual Verification system stopped working

Started by shadav, August 22, 2019, 04:26:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shadav

what files do I need to look at to fix it?
funnily enough the listen to letters still works hahaha
just the image is not showing
thank you

shadav

Quote from: Illori on August 22, 2019, 05:04:03 PM
https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Visual_verification_code_-_It_doesn%27t_work._What_should_I_do

reinstalled my fonts library just in case, still didn't help...

wow that thing says I have a lot of files that doesn't end in ?>  :laugh:
guess I need to go through and put those in? so every file should end with ?> ?? because even some vanilla files do not, for instance proxy.php does not, I checked a vanilla download and it doesn't.....so then I need to make sure every file actually has the ?> ?

Sir Osis of Liver

Interesting -

https://www.php.net/basic-syntax.instruction-separation

The closing tag of a PHP block at the end of a file is optional, and in some cases omitting it is helpful when using include or require, so unwanted whitespace will not occur at the end of files, and you will still be able to add headers to the response later. It is also handy if you use output buffering, and would not like to see added unwanted whitespace at the end of the parts generated by the included files.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Package Manager explicitly requires the ?> at the end of a file, so that test script just checks to make sure it is in fact there, and not with any content afterward.

shadav

still no luck... any other suggestions?
I've already been hit with 3 bots signing up last night and my board is not live (I don't have it in maintenance mode though so I can see that everything is working) nor linked anywhere, no one has the url so um.... yeah....

Sir Osis of Liver

Visual verification is not going to stop bots.  You should use verification questions, or one of the various anti-spam mods.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

shadav

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 23, 2019, 12:45:19 PM
Visual verification is not going to stop bots.  You should use verification questions, or one of the various anti-spam mods.
funnily enough I have 2 questions... I think this is a case of bot/human doing auto registration.... the emails were all bogus (I forget as I deleted the users) same email just different #s tacked onto it...

I tried to install recaptcha mod but it's giving an error, never mind just checked it again and now it's working.... google did say it could take up to 30 minutes for it, so I guess it's ok now...
still don't know why the smf built in one stopped working....

Advertisement: