Search Restrictions

Started by Maxie2019, August 23, 2019, 08:51:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maxie2019

Hi All,

Our members have complained that the search facility isn't picking up the same bulk of criteria as in passed searches. I have just completed a search myself and I am certain that a particular word must be mentioned thousands of time and yet search produces one pafe of entries. Is that the problem? There are too many entries to retrieve?

Thanks in advance :)

Illori

what term are you using to search? what version of SMF are you using? link to your forum?

Arantor

Do you have some boards set to ignore inside your profile?

How is your search currently set up?

Maxie2019

Quote from: Illori on August 23, 2019, 08:56:27 AM
what term are you using to search? what version of SMF are you using? link to your forum?

I'm using a name 'Sheila' - we're using SMF 2.0.15  and this is the forum link http://jeremybamberforum.co.uk/index.php

Cheers :)

Maxie2019

Quote from: Arantor on August 23, 2019, 08:57:12 AM
Do you have some boards set to ignore inside your profile?

How is your search currently set up?

No, nothing is set to ignore. Not sure how search is set up but if you tell me how, I will check the settings?

Maxie2019

I have just tried to search for the word  'and' and it only brings back one page of entries, clearly there are a lot more than that. I think it might be just that when a word appears over a certain number of times the search just can't cope - unless someone has a better idea?

Arantor

Since the search isn't accessible for guests, it's hard to see...

GigaWatt

Post your search settings. Only then can we further discuss the problem.
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Illori

if you dont have a search index defined it can possibly cause issues like this. create a custom index and see if once complete the issue goes away.

Advertisement: