How to make a page that looks like the forum but doesn't use forum permissions?

Started by anidea, August 25, 2019, 06:16:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

I would think a portal would be the easiest way to do this really, I seem to remember more than one of the existing portals allowing this through their own settings.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Sir Osis of Liver

^ See my previous post.  There may be a mod that does this, wouldn't know.  It was a custom job.

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

anidea

Quote from: Looking on August 25, 2019, 11:59:36 PM
Quote from: anidea on August 25, 2019, 11:31:37 PM
I give up.  Long live fakebook.
I don't think swearing is allowed in this community. ;)

Well, I didn't exactly swear.  Maybe I made an oath to a false idol?  LOL

anidea

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on August 26, 2019, 12:01:00 AM
I would think a portal would be the easiest way to do this really, I seem to remember more than one of the existing portals allowing this through their own settings.

I know I tried a few in the past that didn't work.  I just tried TinyPortal and that didn't work.  So if a portal is the answer, I don't know which one or how.  I think it's pretty much a lost cause, so I'm just going to let it go.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 25, 2019, 11:52:41 PM
Ok, basically you place your custom page in function template_kick_guest() in Login.template.php.  Instead of seeing the login window, guests see the custom page between the index template header and footer.
You have to add a header login if your theme doesn't have one, but that's easy.

- R. Waters

anidea

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 26, 2019, 12:28:30 AM
Ok, basically you place your custom page in function template_kick_guest() in Login.template.php.  Instead of seeing the login window, guests see the custom page between the index template header and footer.

Thank you!  I will try that tomorrow, when my eyes are a little fresher, because that sounds like things could break pretty easily.

Kindred

Quote from: Sir Osis of Liver on August 26, 2019, 12:28:30 AM

That is a TERRIBLE way to do what the user is asking for.
It's a messy hack, at best
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

lurkalot

Quote from: anidea on August 25, 2019, 11:31:37 PM
Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Function name must be a string in /home/public/smf/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php:1194 Stack trace: #0 /home/public/smf/Sources/Load.php(2008): loadEssentialThemeData() #1 /home/public/smf/Sources/TPortal.php(23): loadLanguage('TPortal') #2 /home/public/smf/SSI.php(67): require_once('/home/public/sm...') #3 /home/public/index.php(6): require('/home/public/sm...') #4 {main} thrown in /home/public/smf/Sources/ScheduledTasks.php on line 1194

I give up.  Long live fakebook.

Strange. So obviously it doesn't like the way you have your existing landing page set up, or perhaps a conflicting mod. Because out of the box TP runs fine on 2.0.15   I have reverted my test site for now. ;) 

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Kindred on August 26, 2019, 07:26:26 AM
That is a TERRIBLE way to do what the user is asking for.
It's a messy hack, at best

Actually, it's worked quite well for years.  All you're doing is replacing the login window with the custom page.  It's simple. it's neat, but like anything else in coding, if you do it wrong it breaks things.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: