Has anyone improved /main_block.png to have transparent rounded edges?

Started by Biology Forums, August 30, 2019, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

I'm a bit distracted this morning as I'm trying to multi-task. It's not going well. :D

Arantor

Antechinus

Have been distracted by other things, but will have another bash at this over the weekend.

lurkalot

Quote from: Antechinus on October 16, 2019, 05:02:44 PM
Have been distracted by other things, but will have another bash at this over the weekend.

Thanks, looking forward to the next zip.  ;)

Biology Forums

Me too, and strangely I was thinking about this on my drive home

Antechinus

Antechinus

Ok, have dragged this thing out of hibernation. After being off coding for the Dark Side I'm getting enthused about mutant Curve again.

From memory (because I wasn't smart enough to take notes) all that needed to be done was rewriting the .poster area in PersonalMessages.template.php, to match the new markup and CSS that went into Display.template.php during my last feeding frenzy. So I'll knock that off tonight and do a quick look around for any other glitches. :)

ETA: Ha. Just found one. PM button isn't hidden when ignoring posts. Fixed.

...and textareas need sorting for locked topics (background-color is being overridden). Fixed.

...and linktree needs a ::before on the "Post reply" span inside li.last. Fixed.

Antechinus

Have sorted PersonalMessage.template.php. Will do a final check tonight my time, then zip the beast up again.

Antechinus

One zipped beast.

It's fun rebuilding the GUI during "RC". Fits perfectly with 2.0.x history. :D

Biology Forums

Quote from: Antechinus on November 20, 2019, 03:52:29 PM
One zipped beast.

It's fun rebuilding the GUI during "RC". Fits perfectly with 2.0.x history. :D

Any plans on making this official with a submission to the theme site?

Biology Forums

By the way, I've tested this and it works flawlessly.

Great job, my friend!

Antechinus

Quote from: Biology Forums on November 21, 2019, 10:40:41 AMAny plans on making this official with a submission to the theme site?

Sure. It still needs a bit of tidying up in a few places, and RTL support added, but once those are done I'm fine with submitting it.

Antechinus

Found another minor bug: profile summary page needs tweaking in the user info area.

Honestly, this thing does not work flawlessly yet. It's getting close, but it's not flawless. Go and see how many bugs you can find, because I'm sure there are others.

Biology Forums

Quote from: Antechinus on November 21, 2019, 04:33:20 PM
Found another minor bug: profile summary page needs tweaking in the user info area.

Honestly, this thing does not work flawlessly yet. It's getting close, but it's not flawless. Go and see how many bugs you can find, because I'm sure there are others.

Yes, out of the box, it isn't perfect. The positioning and size of an uploaded banner needs to tweaked by the end-user. If the banner is too large, it just feels out of place. I don't think there's any way to rectify that, unless the banner is sized to a specific width to height ratio. Only then could it be resized nicely using CSS with respect to its aspect ratio.

I also don't like how the avatar is positioned. It feels like it's floating out into nowhere, especially given the line-height of the text to its right (see attachment). Furthermore, there needs to be a default avatar for members without one; it feels empty when in topic view after someone has posted who doesn't have one assigned already.

Antechinus

I'd expect anyone making a banner to make it so it looks good. They shouldn't need to tweak position if they sort out the graphics. If someone is determined to make a badly proportioned banner, I'd call that their problem.

The avatar in your screenshot is very much an edge case. Usually they're square, or slightly taller than they are wide.

Not having a default avatar is standard for most forum apps. I can't really see it being a problem if someone chooses to not have an avatar. I'm more interested in actual broken presentation.

Arantor

QuoteNot having a default avatar is standard for most forum apps.

It's really not. XenForo does it, IPB does it, fairly sure the latest iterations of vBulletin do it, MyBB does it, Discourse does it, NodeBB does it. As far as I can see, it's phpBB and SMF that don't.

Most of the latter (and eventually, XF) do it with the 'coloured first letter of the username' approach.

Advertisement: