Has anyone improved /main_block.png to have transparent rounded edges?

Started by Biology Forums, August 30, 2019, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Antechinus

Ok, here's the next one. Same deal as before: an installable theme zip.

If you want any changes you'd better make be clear about what you want, and you'd better do it soon.

If there aren't any requests for sane amendments at this stage I am likely to tell people to get knotted at the next stage, because the next stage is just sort out the RTL support and call the bastard done. I have to stop somewhere about now, before I make an entire new theme, so from now on I will probably avoid looking for bugs myself.

Sane amendments would be things like:

• Should break points be adjusted? If yes, be specific.
  • Do you want more information shown on small screens? If yes, be specific.
  • Do you want less information shown on small screens? If yes, be specific.
  • Do you want a pony for Christmas? If yes, hassle someone else. :P

Biology Forums

First, I get a template parsing error after installing and set to use - can't use it :(

Generally: Sticky hover-off menu should be removed. Otherwise you see an intermittent overlapping effect.

Also, from RC2, overflow hidden should be added at capture view below

@rjen

I like the theme. Just tested it with Tinyportal and noticed some things:

1. Because you have added the 1em padding to windowbg the tinyprtal block padding is now being doubled. Something TinyPortal users may have to deal with..

2. Secondly I noticed that you have setup some specific css for catbg a img, causing the icons in the titlebar going off...

Mind you, may be something we need to think about in TinyPortal, but since we take standard Curve as the basis this is now a bit off..

3. As you can also see in attached image the theme icon is the standard Curve Icon still. Maybe in Final you want to add anither thumbnail?
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

@rjen

lurkalot

Quote from: Study Force on October 04, 2019, 04:23:44 PM
Weird, I'm getting this...

Theme works fine for me as well, apart from the TP stuff @rjen pointed out, it looks great.

Antechinus

Quote from: Study Force on October 04, 2019, 10:18:20 AM
First, I get a template parsing error after installing and set to use - can't use it :(

I did say "be specific". :P I tested the zip by doing a fresh install on a 2.0.x local site. It should work, since it's the same zip with the same templates. If it's not working for you, I need details.

QuoteGenerally: Sticky hover-off menu should be removed. Otherwise you see an intermittent overlapping effect.

This is not clear either. There is no "sticky menu off hover" as far as I know. Please explain exactly what you mean.

QuoteAlso, from RC2, overflow hidden should be added at capture view below

That one is easy. :D It's still default SMF 2.0.x code there, but I can change it.

Antechinus

Quote from: @rjen on October 04, 2019, 01:43:49 PM
I like the theme. Just tested it with Tinyportal and noticed some things:

1. Because you have added the 1em padding to windowbg the tinyportal block padding is now being doubled. Something TinyPortal users may have to deal with.

Ok, easy to fix. I did it that way because it made the most sense for the main part of the forum. If you want a clear border around a common parent element, it makes sense to set padding on it rather than trying to mess with margins on all the possible child elements.

But if it's an issue with TP blocks then I can add an override for them. A few lines of code should do it.

Quote2. Secondly I noticed that you have setup some specific css for catbg a img, causing the icons in the titlebar going off...

Those are always crappy in 2.0.x. Half the problem is that there was no thought given to consistency of sizing with the default icons. It's one of those details that always gives me the irrits. But I can sort something out there too.

Quote3. As you can also see in attached image the theme icon is the standard Curve Icon still. Maybe in Final you want to add another thumbnail?

I'll add some ants. Nice giffy ones that crawl all over the thumbnail. :D

Antechinus

Can't get decent beta testers these days. :P I just noticed that code blocks blow posts apart for width in Firefox, Chrome and Opera. Pretty major and obvious thing, you might think. :D

"Ooo, the home page is pretty and I want a big banner". :P

But, this is weird, they don't have any problems in Pale Moon (which uses an older version of Firefox a its basis). I'm used to things that work in Pale Moon also working in Firefox, but obviously that's no longer the case. Anyway have fixed it. Will work now.

Am currently flabbergasted at 2.0.x markup again too. Just for variety. The login page has a form, which is good. It has text labels for the inputs, which is good, but they aren't real HTML labels that would actually be useful for a11y.

And, it's all split up into insane amounts of markup: one br, 3 dl's, 3 p's and an hr. For one little form. :D

@rjen

Quote from: Antechinus on October 04, 2019, 05:17:48 PM

I'll add some ants. Nice giffy ones that crawl all over the thumbnail. :D

Lokkig forward to that image...  ;D

Mick.

Yo Ant! Right on man! Im diggin' the updates. I once tried lol https://idesignsmf.com/demo/index.php?theme=8 Nothing close to yours hahahha

Antechinus

Cheers, Mick. Some of your themes are pretty flash too. But yeah, not so much that one. Live and learn, they reckon. :D 

ETA: Oh here's a funny story. After all my swearing about IE11, the next update will support IE11. No because I have any real interest in supporting IE 11, but because Mozilla have excelled themselves and created a browser as stupid as IE. To keep the posts hanging together with Firefox I had to ditch the fancy flexbox stuff and go back to using floats. :P

Which is fine. They work, and it's no more code overall, since I had to kick the poster area back to floated on small screens anyway. But I do miss the sticky post footers. They were cool.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on October 05, 2019, 10:18:47 AM
Cheers, Mick. Some of your themes are pretty flash too. But yeah, not so much that one. Live and learn, they reckon. :D 
Hahaha that one I made it in 2012. Very basic default knockoff. Had it here on theme site but removed it a while ago. But yes, its a terrible one lol

Antechinus

Hey we should all get a collection together of our most gruesome experiments. That'd be fun.

Was just thinking, I'm missing Dziner Studio themes a bit at the moment. Some of their designs were excellent.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on October 05, 2019, 10:34:53 AM
Hey we should all get a collection together of our most gruesome experiments. That'd be fun.

Was just thinking, I'm missing Dziner Studio themes a bit at the moment. Some of their designs were excellent.
I miss em too! https://web.archive.org/web/20120129164423/http://www.dzinerstudio.com/index.php

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on October 05, 2019, 10:34:53 AM

Gruesome? https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2009 My very first theme in 2009. So ugly. I was experimenting then. lol

Antechinus

Outline was the first theme I started hacking. Nice and simple. Of course I had to go and make it complicated. :D It was good though because it got me in on the ground floor, so to speak, and then I just went from there as I learned more.

Mick.

Quote from: Antechinus on October 05, 2019, 10:48:32 AM
Outline was the first theme I started hacking. Nice and simple. Of course I had to go and make it complicated. :D It was good though because it got me in on the ground floor, so to speak, and then I just went from there as I learned more.
oooooooo dzinerstudio sweet theme.

Advertisement: