News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Has anyone improved /main_block.png to have transparent rounded edges?

Started by Biology Forums, August 30, 2019, 11:35:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Antechinus

Ok. Well I'm not coding the bloody thing to haul out the first letter and apply colours to it. Too much spaghetti, and I don't fancy that look anyway.

My 2c is people can choose to have an avatar or not, just as people can chose to display avatars or not. Can't see anything wrong with that.

I'm calling feature lock on this thing. I've already been through coding specifically to allow avs or no avs. If anyone wanted avs all the time, they should have called for it back then instead of calling for code to handle both alternatives.

Arantor

And that's fine, just that it isn't anywhere near the default expectation any more.

As for the coloured letters, can't do worse than Discourse for whom generating the letters on demand was so painful, they made a dedicated service that just served coloured letters on coloured backgrounds, the so-called avatar CDN.

Biology Forums

In that case the theme works as intended. I think you did more on this than any other theme designer ever has. For that, we appreciate your effort

Bloc

Well, I like that look lol. So much I used in my newest theme project for Elkarte. And its not much coding tbh.

Biology Forums

Hi Antechinus, when do you plan on releasing this to the theme site?

Antechinus

At the moment I'm waiting on Arantor to have time to nut out a bit of code. Once that's sorted I'll do all the RTL stuff, and a final check for any glitches, then submit it.

RFD

just installed the antechinus curve and diggin' it.  fantastic job so far, mate! 

Antechinus

lurkalot

Antechinus

TBH you probably won't notice any difference between the current RC and the finished version. From the perspective of most people, the current RC is effectively a finished product. All that's holding it up is RTL support, which is not going to be relevant to your site anyway (or to most other sites).

But I'll still finish it.

Skhilled

Damn, spend the last 2+ hours going over this topic! GREAT JOB!  8)

Some of the looks of this theme is similar to how I've envisioned Crip Zone themes for 2.1. Been playing with a new dedi for the hosting and getting it situated but will definitely try this out shortly!

Funny how one thing turns into something completely different! The story of my life! LOL I multitask WAY too much, story of my life. But it keeps me busy and I tend to learn a lot more! Once you stop learning, you stop living! ;)

Antechinus

Hey question: is anyone actually going to want RTL support for this thing? I can do it (it's more tedious than difficult) but is it worth the bother?

2.0.x is getting closer to EOL (for all practical purposes) and RTL languages are very much in the minority, and even 2.0.x in vanilla form has minimal support for most of them. I'm half inclined to just ignore RTL support unless someone specifically demands it. If nobody demands it, it's obviously not required.

Illori

2.0 will not go EOL until a new version post 2.1 is released. so 2.0 will be supported for many years to come.

Antechinus

Yes I understand that, but my thinking was that in practice 2.0.x will get little use once 2.1 is stable. Anyone who sticks with 2.0.x is unlikely to be the sort of person who will want a custom theme either. They will be sticking with 2.0.x due to having already customised their site just the way they like it, and not wanting to do a whole lot of extra work.

I was in this position with 1.1.x vs 2.0.x. Even though I wrote code for 2.0.x I never actually ran it as a live forum, because it wasn't worth the hassle at the time. So I'm wondering if anyone will bother much with this theme anyway, and for how long, and if any of them will ever need RTL support.

Antechinus

Ok, I've got everything I need working on the new box (I hate W10 :P) so will look at integrating the 2.0.16 monster changes into this thing to make sure it all plays nicely. Will also fix any other minor bugs if I spot them. If anyone else has spotted some, let me know.

99.9% of custom themes have little or no RTL support anyway, and nobody has asked for it yet.  Have decided that if anyone actually wants RTL support they can ask for it, in which case I'll do it without feeling I'm wasting my time.

Skhilled

Not meaning to hijack this topic but...

There's something wrong here. I have notifications set to this topic and others here and have been noticing that lately I'm getting emails for these very late. This last post is dated Jan 5th. I just received an email notifying me of this topic 6 hours ago today, Jan 18th! This is not the first time that I've noticed this but thought it was just something on my end.

All of my other emails from everywhere else are sent in a timely manner. I'm not sure if it has to do with the last two upgrades or not.

Antechinus

You mean at this site? No idea. Better ask under site stuff.

Brings up a good point though, in that so far I haven't checked the last RC of this beast for compatibility with 2.0.16 and 2.0.17.

I should get onto that. Have been meaning to, but keep getting sidetracked.

Skhilled

Yes, this site. This time I got the notification in a timely manner. Sometimes it seems to work and other times it takes days to get a notification. Very weird.

I know what you mean. I get sidetracked a lot doing way too many things at the same time. LOL Hard to keep up at times but I like staying busy.

EDIT: I should add that the email account I used on this site is a gmail account. So maybe it's something on their end? I'll look into it further and make a proper topic about it. But it's not only this topic that this has happened to me.

Advertisement: