News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

don't forget the "unbound" [hr] BBCode for a horizontal ruler/line

Started by aegersz, September 03, 2019, 06:27:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aegersz

I have been getting into html and then issuing a <hr> command to print a horizontal line to delineate sub-posts.

Then i thought that i would write a BBCode to do it instead ... but only to find that it's provided by Simple Machines already.

it is unbound so just issue this > [b][hr][/b]

i know, not the most amazing tip of the century but still, it bears mentioning if you didn't know about it.

i use it all the time and you can too !  8)
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

aegersz

EDIT: ignore and remove the [b] and the [/b], i left that inside the nobbc BBCode section by mistake, sorry about that.

(yes, there is also a "nobbc" BBCode, too.)
The configuration of my Linux VPS (SMF 2.0 with 160+ mods & some assorted manual tweaks) can be found here and notes on my mods can be found here (warning: those links will take you to a drug related forum). My (House) music DJ dedication page is here

Antechinus

I'm not sure what your tip actually is. For a start, what does "unbound" mean in this context?

aegersz

Sorry, unbound means no closing [/hr] required.

I admit i made the term up, forgive. It's the only BBCode i know that stands alone.

shadav

i'm a bit confused also

wouldn't the html just be
<hr />
or do you mean for the bbc you can just use
[hr] and not need the closing bbc

@firstly hr is a horizontal rule, basically just puts a line across the screen.... you can stylize these lines ;)
it's helpful for separating information on pages, like using underline, but it is not set to the word and it is usually a full page line, unless you style it with a set width

Arantor

Um, why do you need the b bbc? Yes, it's an empty ("unbound") tag but the parser is quite capable of handling it, just as it is with the br bbcode.

aegersz

I like to delineate posts about a similar and specific topic ie. conflicting reports on a certain matter.

I find the line just appeals to me and dropping into HTML isn't required.

Antechinus

But the problem is that nobody can understand what your tip actually is. If it's "Hey, SMF provides an hr button in its editor" then I'm not sure how this is any more newsworthy than any other standard SMF button that has always been there.

aegersz

Antechinus

In the standard editor (non-wysiwyg) it's the third button from the right, just below the "Change color" select. It has a sort of <------> on it.

Arantor

Quote from: aegersz on September 28, 2019, 12:04:52 AM
I like to delineate posts about a similar and specific topic ie. conflicting reports on a certain matter.

Yes but why do you wrap it in a bold bbc tag that achieves nothing?

aegersz

Quote from: Antechinus on September 28, 2019, 03:00:18 AM
In the standard editor (non-wysiwyg) it's the third button from the right, just below the "Change color" select. It has a sort of <------> on it.

Thanks !

aegersz

Quote from: Arantor on September 28, 2019, 03:51:56 AM
Quote from: aegersz on September 28, 2019, 12:04:52 AM

Yes but why do you wrap it in a bold bbc tag that achieves nothing?

I don't understand your question, i didn't know there was a button for the horizontal line: (see below)

i hope that i haven't wasted your time.

Arantor

Nah, you're all good, I was just confused by what you were saying.

Advertisement: