News:

Bored?  Looking to kill some time?  Want to chat with other SMF users?  Join us in IRC chat or Discord

Main Menu

Sphinx - search issues

Started by toontastic, September 04, 2019, 03:33:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

toontastic

I'm hoping this is the correct forum, apologies if not. When performing a search on our forum (http://www.newcastle-online.org) we have started to get the error:

Unable to access the search daemon

A search of this forum suggests its an error with Spinx. I don't have a single clue on how to fix this issue. I've tried looking through the sites WHM but see nothing about Sphinx. Any help at all is gratefully received.

Thanks.

Arantor

It won't be set up through WHM. Sphinx runs on the server, and usually has to be manually started once configured.

Do you have a server admin who would have set this up for you?

toontastic

We've had a change around in those running the website which is why I've come to ask these questions as don't really have anyone with high server knowledge any more... I can probably get any details needed, what do I need to do to manually start Sphinx again ?

Arantor

Command line access would be a start, then you'd need to find where on the server Sphinx is and restart it. You'd probably also need to check how the indexer is configured and probably need to restart that too.

toontastic

I have access to terminal. Looks like i've lots of questions to ask. Thanks.

Darkness7148

That happens to me when the server is rebooted. I just go into SSH and type searchd to restart it.

I still can't figure out how to start Sphinx automatically when the server reboots.

Arantor

Quote from: StarScream123 on September 04, 2019, 03:03:41 PM
That happens to me when the server is rebooted. I just go into SSH and type searchd to restart it.

I still can't figure out how to start Sphinx automatically when the server reboots.

That's mostly dependent on your server's operating system flavour (namely whether it uses systemd or not). If it does use systemd, something like https://wiki.ubuntu.com/SystemdForUpstartUsers is probably a good place to start.

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: StarScream123 on September 04, 2019, 03:03:41 PM

I've never used Ubuntu but what about a cron job that checks every so many minuets of Sphinx is up, if it isn't, it gets rebooted

Arantor

That's what systemd will do for you. Other tool choices may vary.

Advertisement: