Spammer-defence by entry-page?

Started by walrus2019, September 04, 2019, 03:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

Believe me, you are wrong. Sure, it'll work for a day, perhaps a week, but you have added a function that adds to the load when they try, and they do learn. I too run a forum, one that started in 2005, with some 3+ million posts, and have shared your frustration with crawlers - until I decided to simply not give a fudge. It's not like they affect my VPS much.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

walrus2019

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 05, 2019, 10:52:41 AM
Believe me, you are wrong. Sure, it'll work for a day, perhaps a week, but you have added a function that adds to the load when they try, and they do learn. I too run a forum, one that started in 2005, with some 3+ million posts, and have shared your frustration with crawlers - until I decided to simply not give a fudge. It's not like they affect my VPS much.

We have some "special" enemies, and some "special" spammers. Of course they will learn. But it will not help them. We have some very agile mods.

Kindred

Incidentally, before you denigrate the team further and claim that we don't know what we are talking about, be aware that I have been running a forum since dial-up days -- since 1988 to be exact.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

walrus2019

Quote from: Kindred on September 05, 2019, 12:07:31 PM
Incidentally, before you denigrate the team further and claim that we don't know what we are talking about, be aware that I have been running a forum since dial-up days -- since 1988 to be exact.

1. But still NO ONE understood how the mechanisms of a forum work. Writing a script is not the same as steering a forum through a hurricane. That is worlds apart.

2. We do not run a gossip forum. As I said: We are unique.

The discussion is boring. I will not respond anymore unless some useful hint show up.

Kindred

see....  I really doubt that you are as unique as you believe...

and we do fully understand the mechanisms of designing, implementing AND running a forum.
I don't run a "gossip" forum either...

You came with a preconceived notion.
Your notion, as it turns out, is pretty much wrong... and this has been pointed out to you by people with more experience in every area of forum-ness.
Believe me or not -- it is the plain truth and your insistence on "only my thought is the correct way" is nothing more than pure mule-headedness.

You asked for a new feature.
Sorry, but what you asked for
1- will not accomplish what you think it will
2- even if it did, would not be useful to 99.9999% of the universe of forums (actually, I would argue that it would be actually damaging to most, if not every, forum site.)
3- because of 1 and 2 -- Will not be implemented as a feature.

If you are willing to pay someone to design it specially for you -- you might find someone who is willing to do it.   Post in the Help Wanted (not for support) board as a PAID request.
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Arantor

Honestly I'm tempted to do it to just be proven right at the end that it won't solve the problem, but that's more effort than I can really be bothered.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

As it seems what you want is Cloudflare without Cloudflare, I don't think we can help you further. I have moved this topic to Applied or Declined Requests as a declined request.
If you wish to seek this further, I suggest you follow Kindred's advice and seek paid help with this.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: