News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

How to Add Birthdate to Standard Profile Fields

Started by Ranami, September 08, 2019, 07:30:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ranami

Please can someone put me through on how to add birthdate to the list of standard profile fields as shown in attached image, with the option to check 'show on registration'? I'm using SMF 2.0.15 default theme, thanks.

Arantor

(You should also add to the list of things, "how to then add it to registration" since putting it on that list won't make it show up on registration, you still need to actually add it to registration afterwards.)

Ranami

Quote from: Arantor on September 08, 2019, 07:31:43 AM
(You should also add to the list of things, "how to then add it to registration" since putting it on that list won't make it show up on registration, you still need to actually add it to registration afterwards.)
I already added it to the registration page using a solution I found on another thread, but I just don't like it as a required field which is what it is right now. So I figured if I can add it to that list and enable the 'show on registration' option, it would appear as an additional field rather than a required one, just like 'gender' and 'location' do.

Arantor

The two things are not connected, though, and whatever you did to add it would need to be modified to be aware of that setting anyway.

Just because something has a UI does not mean it actually *does* anything with it. You could, instead, just ask how to modify whatever instructions you followed for getting it added to the registration page to make it not required, which is far less work and far less complicated than adding changes to several places to add it to a UI - just to then modify what you already have, when you might as well just change what you already have.

Ranami

Quote from: Arantor on September 08, 2019, 07:48:13 AM
The two things are not connected, though, and whatever you did to add it would need to be modified to be aware of that setting anyway.

Just because something has a UI does not mean it actually *does* anything with it. You could, instead, just ask how to modify whatever instructions you followed for getting it added to the registration page to make it not required, which is far less work and far less complicated than adding changes to several places to add it to a UI - just to then modify what you already have, when you might as well just change what you already have.
Makes sense!

Okay, so what I did is on the first post of this link: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=351983.20 .

How do I modify the code to make it not required, please?

lurkalot

Quote from: Ranami on September 08, 2019, 09:30:09 AM

Makes sense!

Okay, so what I did is on the first post of this link: https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=351983.20 .

If I've got this right.   According to that thread, it's not compulsory, so they can fill it in if desired.  https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=351983.msg2490530#msg2490530

Ranami

Quote from: lurkalot on September 08, 2019, 09:49:09 AM
Quote from: Ranami on September 08, 2019, 09:30:09 AM

Makes sense!

If I've got this right.   According to that thread, it's not compulsory, so they can fill it in if desired.  https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=351983.msg2490530#msg2490530
Absolutely right...just tried it out now. Only downside is that it appears under required fields, given the impression that it's compulsory. Guess I'll just leave it that way and see how it goes. Thanks guys!

lurkalot

Ranami

Ranami

Advertisement: