News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

php 7.1 going away soon

Started by a10, September 08, 2019, 08:58:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

a10

My host (and probably most hosts) preparing to ditch 7.1, am getting slightly nervous :O)

Will anything be done to stock SMF 2.0.15 to avoid it falling behind the times, an official upgrade to 7.2+ compatibility?
(mods would need individual attention, question related to SMF only)

Thanks
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Illori

SMF 2.0.15 will never support php 7.2. we dont apply patches to already existing releases.

we are working on SMF 2.0.16 which will have basic support for php 7.2.

we dont have a release date yet for 2.0.16. it will be ready when it is ready.

a10

So .16 will be the "patched" .15 :O)  Good.
2.0.19, php 8.0.23, MariaDB 10.5.15. Mods: Contact Page, Like Posts, Responsive Curve, Search Focus Dropdown, Add Join Date to Post.

Arantor

But note that the most it can possibly do is support the core of SMF - not any mods, especially not bbcode mods, all of which need a rewrite.

(Well, I say that. It's theoretically possible to write a package manager package that does it, but it would be a one way only patch, with no ability to revert if it goes wrong, and if it goes wrong it takes your entire forum down. And none of the mods would be able to uninstall after because the code that they added would be entirely removed. And if you upload a new batch of files, then add mods, the mods break again. Or if the mods use hooks, it's all redundant anyway because they still don't work properly on PHP 7.2 even if the rest of the core could be patched. So, yeah, net result is that only the core can be patched.)

Jarppi

My host changed php 7.2 already and there is no possibility to change to any earlier version php on cPanel.
Forum was running on 1.1.21 smf, so this means that my forum is not working at all and I cannot upgrade it.
Is only possibility to wait 2.0.16? Or any suggestions what I can try?

Illori

SMF 2.0.15 will function on php 7.2, it just will fill your error log with errors.

Jarppi

Thank you. Ok, good to know. I´ll try upgrade then.

Dave J

Quote from: Jarppi on September 08, 2019, 04:03:27 PM
My host changed php 7.2 already and there is no possibility to change to any earlier version php on cPanel.
Forum was running on 1.1.21 smf, so this means that my forum is not working at all and I cannot upgrade it.

Hi,

My host upgraded to PHP7.2 and it broke some bits on my SMF 2.0.15.

Firstly make a back up of the file I'm suggeting you change below

What you could try is if you have an .htaccess file change the code inside it to say

# Use PHP5.6 as default
AddHandler application/x-httpd-ea-php56 .php

You could also try repalcing the text 'php56' to 'php71' if you wanted to use 7.1

If you don't have .htaccess try creating one, with the code I suggested, in Notepad++ and upload it to the public html folder on your

I'm not sure if your host would have completely got rid of 5.6 if they did then it probably wont work. If it's doesn't work then just delete the new file or revert back your old .htaccess file

For my site everything is OK again now.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Biology Forums

Any host that does this to their customer is completely irresponsible. Likely they have little experience running a damn business

My ho changed php 7.2 already and there is no possibility to change to any earlier version php on cPanel.

-edit- No hosting advertisements allowed outside of the hosting boards.

SpacePhoenix

What was the previous version of PHP on that server?

Dave J

As an update,

Another site I'm admin on had the same problem with the host updating to PHP 7.3 and when I checked cPanel it's been changed to a new version which doesn't allow the changing of PHP versions to below 7.0.

So I did my suggestion for the .htaccess file in the post above and it did work, so for those who are having issues with PHP7+ they can probably revert to 5.6 if they need to go back.
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

SomeoneElse

Quote from: Biology Forums on September 11, 2019, 09:24:40 PM
Any host that does this to their customer is completely irresponsible. Likely they have little experience running a damn business

In just six weeks time, PHP 7.2 becomes the oldest supported version of PHP.

Running unsupported versions of software with a long history of security issues* on a shared server - what could POSSIBLY go wrong?

* https://www.cvedetails.com/vulnerability-list/vendor_id-74/product_id-128/PHP-PHP.html has some of PHP's.

SpacePhoenix

Quote from: davejo on September 29, 2019, 02:53:16 AM
As an update,

Another site I'm admin on had the same problem with the host updating to PHP 7.3 and when I checked cPanel it's been changed to a new version which doesn't allow the changing of PHP versions to below 7.0.

So I did my suggestion for the .htaccess file in the post above and it did work, so for those who are having issues with PHP7+ they can probably revert to 5.6 if they need to go back.
There has got to be a point at which most hosts will remove all PHP versions older than 7.0 (which is already EOL). 7.2 will enter the "Security fixes only" stage by the end of the year

Arantor

Given that hosts are still keeping 5.6 for the time being, I wouldn't immediately assume that it's quite that bad. I also know some distros (especially the likes of CentOS) backport security fixes from newer versions of PHP...

But there is a 2.0.16 being worked on where *some* of this is remedied. I wouldn't call it total compatibility, but it will be usable in most cases without masses of errors in the log.

Sir Osis of Liver

You can move to a better host.  My host supports php 5.3 - 7.3, currently running 7.2 native.  I sometimes use early versions to salvage damaged 1.1 databases, so it's a necessity for me.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

nidec

My site, notthenoobs.com,  is built on 2.0.15 and I signed up with Gray Web hosting.  This is on php 7.3. Is that likely to be a problem?

lurkalot

Quote from: nidec on October 17, 2019, 05:19:24 PM
My site, notthenoobs.com,  is built on 2.0.15 and I signed up with Gray Web hosting.  This is on php 7.3. Is that likely to be a problem?

7.1 is the highest version 2.0.15 supports.  You should be able to select 7.1 in your cPanel. 

Dave J

One of the sites I'm admin on have had an updated cPanel installed by the host and changing the PHP version is not allowed. If you have problems then try what I've suggested with the .htaccess file here https://www.simplemachines.org/community/index.php?topic=569552.msg4030781#msg4030781

I should add that although I have done this and it was successful the host keeps changing the PHP version back to 7.+. I have suggested to the owner of the site that he contacts the host to tell them that the SMF software does not work on anything above 7.1 as yet I don't think he's done that.

a10

These are the options on my hosting (see attach.)

A very good host btw, and not running any unsupported, outdated, potentially unsecure?, php versions.

nidec

Quote from: lurkalot on October 17, 2019, 06:40:31 PM

7.1 is the highest version 2.0.15 supports.  You should be able to select 7.1 in your cPanel.

There is no option to change it. I went with Gray Webhost because they were recommended on here as being experts on SMF, so Im surprised thats not available

Advertisement: