News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Notify all users for all threads?

Started by m4z, February 23, 2020, 06:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m4z

A german user asked this: For a forum used by employees, is it possible to notify all users whenever a new topic is posted?
I couldn't find a mod and suggested either using the RSS feed or a manual DB query to update all user settings after a new member or board is created.

Does anyone have a better idea?

Don't know if they're using 2.0 or 2.1rc2
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

SMiFFER

You can let SMF notify any user on a per-board-basis.
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

efk

I think there are 2 ways to get email notifications, 1st is easier by clicking on NOTIFY option in any board (should be what SMiFFER posted), and 2nd is through Permissions or if there is a need for more complex organization Permission Profile. In Permissions there are 3 options, I forgot which one exactly is used for this purpose, but you can check:

* Member administration
   - Send a forum email to members
*Default Board Profile Permissions
   - Announce topic >> should be this one

So you can set it be global by Administrator, or per board via Permission Profile. Also if you want everyone to have suck power to send notification to everyone, every membergroup that needs that permission can have, so everyone will get an email.

m4z

Quote from: efk on February 23, 2020, 09:05:37 PM
I think there are 2 ways to get email notifications, 1st is easier by clicking on NOTIFY option in any board (should be what SMiFFER posted)

Every user would have to enable that for themselves, correct? I think the admin is looking for a global default.

Quote from: efk on February 23, 2020, 09:05:37 PM
and 2nd is through Permissions or if there is a need for more complex organization Permission Profile. In Permissions there are 3 options, I forgot which one exactly is used for this purpose, but you can check:

* Member administration
   - Send a forum email to members
*Default Board Profile Permissions
   - Announce topic >> should be this one

Thanks, I totally forgot about announcing topics!
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

efk

QuoteEvery user would have to enable that for themselves, correct? I think the admin is looking for a global default.
I think yes, user is getting emails per topic if he post in topic and/or from entire board if use NOTIFY- should be like this, but I must say that emails are not my thing, I like to use just forums, emails are irrelevant for daily usage in my case but I had to set it to work for other users who wanted notifications like that.

About Announce topic, it can be advantaged usage of forum, depends on how you will organize it and it should work for each post.

And it is highly possible to be 1 more option somewhere related with default options for members notifications.

SMiFFER

Try this, it works for me:

/index.php?action=notifygroup;batch=true

There you can select EVERY/ANY board/topic. Does that help you?
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

Illori

that does not exist in a default install.

Advertisement: