Re: Changing notification defaults

Started by SMiFFER, September 09, 2019, 05:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SMiFFER

I would like to change SMF's default from 'Moderation only if I started the topic' to 'Replies and moderation'

Where is that stored so I can change this one setting?
Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

SMiFFER

Quote of the day: A troll is an obstinate bloke who only hungers for your attention. If you feed him, he will puke all over you!

YogiBear

Profile > Modify Profile > For topics and boards I've requested notification on, notify me of...
SMF v2.1.3  Mods : Snow & Garland v1.4,  PHP  v.7.4.33

SMiFFER

That does neither answer nor relate to my question.

Quote from: SMiFFER on September 09, 2019, 05:30:36 AM
I would like to change SMF's default

Illori

i dont believe by default you can modify the notifications for all members. i am not aware of a mod to do this.

shawnb61

In 2.0.x, many of those notification options are actually stored as theme settings.  You look under Admin | Configuration | Themes and Layout | Member Options.

There, you can either update the defaults on the "Configure guest and new user options" link. 

Or, you can modify settings for all users via the "Change current options for all members" link. 

This must be done per theme (though, IIRC, default settings get copied from the default theme when new themes are added). 

But... 

I don't think that exact notification setting is there. 
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

SMiFFER

In THEMES? WTF? I would have never ever looked there.

But still, where is that option? I cannot find it!

Illori

Quote from: Illori on December 19, 2019, 07:39:36 PM
i dont believe by default you can modify the notifications for all members. i am not aware of a mod to do this.

this is why.

shawnb61

That particular field is notify_types on the members table, and there is no ACP form to modify the default.  The default value of '2' is set in the DB.  If you really want to change it in 2.0.x, today, you need to change the column definition in the smf_members table. 

And...  Just to be clear what you're asking for...

Changing it to 'Replies and moderation' means that, in addition to all replies, all subscribed users get notified of all moderation activity as well - whether or not they started the topic.  ls that the desired behavior?
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Illori

Quote from: shawnb61 on December 20, 2019, 08:53:03 PM
Changing it to 'Replies and moderation' means that, in addition to all replies, all subscribed users get notified of all moderation activity as well - whether or not they started the topic.  ls that the desired behavior?

actually that means they would get notified of any moderation action taken against their post, not for all moderation activity for the complete topic. of course that also means the topic starter would get a notification of actions taken against the topic like locking it or moving it etc.

SMiFFER

Come on, you do know exactly what I mean.

Illori

and as we said it cannot be done by default. if you want it done hire someone to code it for you.

SMiFFER

Surely not a mod, a change in one of the countless .PHP code files.

I will look it up where the software set this and change that then.

SMiFFER

I must replace
['notify_send_type_everything_own']

with
['notify_send_type_everything']

Advertisement: