Club forum is down need help

Started by Michael1960, September 13, 2019, 12:34:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Michael1960

A nonprofit club that I support appears to have had either a hack or some other cause to have the site down.  I've not previously had to repair an smf site before so I need some pointers for how to try to get it running again.  I've already backed up the db and current installation folder.

What I don't know is how to find the actual smf version that's there.  Then I think I only need to replace the bulk of files with the matching version ... with the exception of a couple setup files ... which I'm also not sure of.  I'd also need to know how I could get the matching smf install version too.

I figure that after a restore of the smf structure, any issues would likely be database ... which would be a whole other topic.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!!

Bob Perry of Web Presence Consulting

Unless the original installer removed it, which would be against copyright agreement, the version should be at the bottom of every page... and if you have cpanel backend access, there are two error logs you need to look inside, one is on the root directory of the install folder, named error_log... the other is located on the cpanel menu somewhere, it depends on which version/brand of cpanel you have as to it's location.
Best Regards,
Bob Perry

"The world is moving so fast these days that the man who says it can't be done is generally interrupted by someone doing it." Elbert Hubbard

Sir Osis of Liver

Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: