News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Own posts being shown as "new" "unread"

Started by smartdaz9682, September 16, 2019, 11:01:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

smartdaz9682

I've had a slight issue where whenever I make a new post on my forum it's showing there is a new unread thread for me to see.

Even marking this as read it will continue to show the post topic icon as a new one is awaiting me. After awhile this vanishes.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening?  Ideally, I only want it to show that a new post is waiting for me when someone other than me has posted.  thanks

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That's quite clearly a caching issue, I would wager most probably a cache on the host side but could be an issue with SMF's own cache as well. What are the settings for the caching level?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

smartdaz9682

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on September 16, 2019, 11:27:18 AM
That's quite clearly a caching issue, I would wager most probably a cache on the host side but could be an issue with SMF's own cache as well. What are the settings for the caching level?

Thanks for the reply. It's showing as being on Level 1 (Recommended) and the memcache box underneath is empty.

in the main info box at the bottom it says "SMF has not been able to detect a compatible accelerator on your server."

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

That shouldn't cause problems, but you can try if emptying the cache helps? If it doesn't i'd say it's most likely the issue is on the host side.
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

how popular is your forum? if there are not a lot of new posts/topics being made it can make a topic look like it is new even if it has been read already.

smartdaz9682

Emptying the cache seemed to do the trick. Is there a plugin that auto empties that?

my forum is just me and my friend right now lol. Wanted to iron out any kinks before promoting it.

Arantor

That would defeat the point of the cache, which is to not have to do all the work all the time (which is important on cheaper servers)

smartdaz9682

Quote from: Arantor on September 18, 2019, 06:22:57 AM
That would defeat the point of the cache, which is to not have to do all the work all the time (which is important on cheaper servers)

Good point. I'll have a word with my hosting company about it. If not I'll have to live with it for awhile. Thank you for your help.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

If your forum is really low on traffic, you may just want to try and disable the SMF cache until it is needed, or wait to see what happens in time when traffic increases.
Slava
Ukraini!

How you can help SMF

Advertisement: