News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Install mod withOUT using FTP?

Started by AlanDewey, September 17, 2019, 06:14:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlanDewey

smf 2.0.15   Attempting to install the mod     Ad Management 3.5d           ad_mod_v3.5_SMF_2.0_and_SMF2.1d.zip

I have never set up an FTP server on my server;  I hope I do not have to (security headaches.)   
So I am trying to install this mod without FTP.    Can I ?    Is this situation unique to this mod ? 

I did successfully install mod for google analytics code 6 months ago without FTP - but I do not remember running into this "problem"

Here is what I have done and where I get stuck
=================================================================
Within forum, go to admin  -  package manager  - download packages   then upload the zip

go confirm       forum/packages/ ad_mod_v3.5_SMF_2.0_and_SMF2.1d.zip          is there

go to admin - main - package manager - browse packages and I see the mod with the option to [ Install Mod ]  [list files]  [delete]

click [list files] and I see all the files

go back and click [ Install Mod ]

I get lots of    Test successful 
but how do I install the mod without FTP ?  I have checked permissions for every file and directory.

My only choices at this point are  Test Connection    and    Proceed
Test connection fails, of course, since there is no FTP server, and    Proceed   just brings me back to the same page after apparently doing nothing.

Will I have to configure an FTP server in order to install this mod ?    Or will I have to go make all the changes to files manually?

Will I regret not having setup a FTP server when it is time to install 2.1 someday in the future?

I tried opening firefox and then run install.php  -  but of course, the server says I can't go into that directory

[/list][/list]
Causing lots of electrons to push each other around since 1985.

Arantor

Your alternative is to change all the file permissions everywhere so the web server can write to the files (that's all it wants FTP for anyway)

AlanDewey

I believe I have set all the file and directory permissions.

But what should I click?     If I click   Proceed   it just takes me right back to the same screen....   it's like there is a button missing (or I am 'blind' to it.)

Kindred

If you are getting the ftp info (change permissions) screen, then your file permissions are NOT set correctly to make the files writable by your php user
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

AlanDewey

Quotethen your file permissions are NOT set correctly to make the files writable by your php user

That was it :-)

Thank you very much !

Advertisement: