[Theme] Amber (SMF v1.1RC1 - v1.1RC2)

Started by bloc, November 16, 2005, 07:35:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bloc

The theme doesn't use buttons - only text links which lie on top of a graphic bar. Look at template_menu() function in index.template.php and copy one of those code bits there to add more links.

If you need help, let me know what the link(s) and name(s) are to be. ;)

markyboy1968

I love this theme but some of my members have complained about the font being to small when they are posting a message, anyway of making it larger without affecting other parts of the forum.

Thanks

Gobo

wow cool this theme even gets better - no buttons!! Man!!

well I opened the theme template file and found the place to add more buttons
but the if statements totally confused me and I was frozen for 5 mins (esp since i dont know any php) I was scared I would do something wrong!

So if you dont mind can you tell me how I can put these 2 links?

Link Description: Path-To-Peace
Link Address: http://path-to-peace.com/zimzim2.html
Location of Link Last link in the bar

Link Description: P2PChat
Link Description: http://path-to-peace.com/chat/
Location of Link Second Link in the bar

Thank u so much for all ur help - u are very kind
There is no flowers smiley here or else I'd give u flowers

bloc

:) Thanks for the flowers..

ok, you need first to open up index.template.php and find "function template_menu();" and this line:
echo $tab1, $ca== 'home' ? '1' : '2' , '"><a href="', $scripturl, '">'.$txt[103]. '</a></td>';

Put this on the next line:
echo $tab1, '2"><a href="http://path-to-peace.com/chat/">P2PChat</a></td>';

then find this line:
echo $tab1, $ca== 'logout' ? '1' : '2' , '"><a href="', $scripturl, '?action=logout;sesc='.$context['session_id'].'">'.$txt[108]. '</a></td>';

and add on the next line:
echo $tab1, '2"><a href="http://path-to-peace.com/zimzim2.html">Path-To-Peace</a></td>';

Gobo

Thank you so so much
I uploded the file after i made the changes and it works great :D

ur themes are the best in my view in all of SMF, please never leave SMF or we will be lost

bloc

Quote from: markyboy1968 on November 27, 2005, 07:14:22 AM
I love this theme but some of my members have complained about the font being to small when they are posting a message, anyway of making it larger without affecting other parts of the forum.

Thanks
In the actual post box? or in the threads?

Foreverpurple

Any chance you could put a winter scene in the top of this?  I am in LOVE with this theme and it would be gorgeous as a winter theme.  Even horses running through the snow....

Foreverpurple

I installed this theme and switched to use it and now it won't let me switch to anything else.

Gobo

I think this theme is sooo good that if u made others just like it but with different header images and colors it would be DA BOMB x 10000

- Summer with a nice sunny nature header
- Winter with a nice snowy header
- Spring time with a nice grassy header
- Autumn the existing one could serve as that

Just some suggestions.

Dannii

There's a sliced psd in the first post. You can make any header images you like! :)

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

bloc

Quote from: Foreverpurple on November 28, 2005, 02:23:36 AM
I installed this theme and switched to use it and now it won't let me switch to anything else.

:) as much as I think its good, that has to be something with SMF version possibly. Do you use it on a SMF 1.1RC1?

bloc

Quote from: akulion on November 28, 2005, 03:00:07 AM
I think this theme is sooo good that if u made others just like it but with different header images and colors it would be DA BOMB x 10000

- Summer with a nice sunny nature header
- Winter with a nice snowy header
- Spring time with a nice grassy header
- Autumn the existing one could serve as that

Just some suggestions.

Like eldacar mentions, there is a sliced image to be used...but this suggestion of season versions is great. I think i will try that. :)

Dannii

Hmm an idea.

You've done helios up with some tricksyhard multi system. Would it be possible to include that in all of your themes? I haven't downloaded it so I don't have the code, but as you already have the functions working, would it be very difficult to implement it in other themes too? The simplicity of the clicky buttons at the top is great, and it would be amazing if somehow it could become the standard in bloc themes. You'd become even more famous!
Oh, and that just made be think- simplicity also has the the quick colour changes too!

"Never imagine yourself not to be otherwise than what it might appear to others that what you were or might have been was not otherwise than what you had been would have appeared to them to be otherwise."

bloc

I could. :) Maybe not in all themes, but at least in Amber.

Dannii

Don't bother for your old themes, but in your future themes this would be a great feature. You wouldn't even need to provide the secondary colours, just have the colour selection buttons. Anyone could then make their own colour/image sets and upload here or on TP.net

Anyways it's just an idea. You've got a lot more to do first.

Gobo

I think the best thing about ur amber theme (apart from the design and other cool things like side bar) is the no buttons approach to the top nav bar.

The reason i say this is cos in my last forum on invision it was as simple as abc to add new links and stuff on to the board itself. But since ive started using SMF (4 days ago) the most troublesome thing that I have personally found is to have to manually update everything by changing codes and adding buttons to theme folders etc. I have I think about 10 themes installed and I use only Amber. Why? Well the above said reason..its easy to update (easier than others atleast).

Some of my users also love helios and were sad to see it being put off the selection list (cos of the buttons issue) but the only thing im left with now is installing a portal around my forum to resolve the issue of adding / subtracting links. I would have loved to use tiny portal but due to the lack of a user gallery (which I wana use as an ecard system for my site) I had to use mkportal.

I think if you were able to include an e-card / gallery thingie to ur tiny portal along with the ability to include flash images / movies (which could be sent as e-cards) then ur portal will not be DA BOMB but DA A-BOMB amongst portals. Just a suggestion I thought I would give.

markyboy1968

Quote from: Bloc on November 27, 2005, 08:37:06 PM

Thanks

The threads are fine its in the actual post box they have the problem with.

Thanks

bloc

About the links/buttons..I think adding more links could be more streamlined..in Black22 (and even Helios) I have 4-5 extra boxes in "current theme settings" - to add extra buttons. Just supply name and link. Its not positionial of course(you can't put it number 2 for example) but that can be added, making adding extra links a breeze.

Using text links instead of buttons are also very convenient for other languages, it will just use whatever language you have installed, rather than having to make buttons in that language. In Amber there is a mix of texts and graphic buttons, but you are more likely to change the main buttons than the reply/quote etc. buttons.

Thanks for the input on TP and gallery ideas. I will take this into consideration when adding that function.

bloc

Quote from: markyboy1968 on November 28, 2005, 10:42:05 AM
Quote from: Bloc on November 27, 2005, 08:37:06 PM

Thanks

The threads are fine its in the actual post box they have the problem with.

Thanks

Ok. Try to change it by going to style.css and finding "textarea". That controls the size in postbox etc. Currently I have at 9pt(the fontsize) so try increasing it to 10 or 11pt.

In fact, textarea share that size with input and button classes..so you might want to separate them. Going from:
input, textarea, button
{
font-size: 9pt;
color: #000000;
font-family: tahoma, sans-serif;
}

to:
input, button
{
font-size: 9pt;
color: #000000;
font-family: tahoma, sans-serif;