2.1 - Easy CSS crud reduction, if anyone can be bothered.

Started by Antechinus, September 27, 2019, 09:30:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SychO

Quote from: Antechinus on October 08, 2019, 03:07:43 PM
That was the original claim. Moving to GitHub was going to open up a new golden era of oodles of happy bunnies contributing megabytes of awesome code, thereby speeding up development to levels previously undreamt of. Hasn't exactly turned out that way. Which is not the fault of anyone contributing now, but is still an amusing contrast to the original claims (which I remember, having been there at the time).

I'm pretty sure that if the development was still happening on SVN which is not open to the public as in Git using GitHub, 2.1 would be in a worse state right now.
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Gwenwyfar

Quote from: Antechinus on October 08, 2019, 03:07:43 PM
Quote from: Bloc on October 08, 2019, 02:41:53 PMSpeed up development? Not so sure about that..but there are other advantages. I like the history thing, even branching though I don't use it that much. Being able to pluck out a time in history and use code from that..but still keep the most recent things, thats worth gold to me. :D

That was the original claim. Moving to GitHub was going to open up a new golden era of oodles of happy bunnies contributing megabytes of awesome code, thereby speeding up development to levels previously undreamt of. Hasn't exactly turned out that way. Which is not the fault of anyone contributing now, but is still an amusing contrast to the original claims (which I remember, having been there at the time).
Well, for one thing, you'd not have any of my changes there if it wasn't in GitHub... it's a tool, not a solution to all SMF's problems as these things tend to be put out as. On another hand, there is very little incentive for anyone to go there nor much explaining how the process works for those interested (I had to ask on IRC, that's bad), which is probably another contributor. There's actually not much incentive or information in general how to contribute (the number of people who didn't even know charter was a thing is but one example), but again I doubt that's all of the reason SMF is so stalled right now.

The official mods/themes repos are also there now and public for the same reason (no need to be on the team to help), but of course everyone will forget it exists.
"It is impossible to communicate with one that does not wish to communicate"

Advertisement: