News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Polyline for stats sections

Started by Bloc, October 04, 2019, 12:59:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bloc

Had an idea using svg's polyline for rendering stats - or at least certain sections of stats - and it seems to work well. This is from the posting activity section. Pies are also possible using SVG but for now I am exploring polyline's capabilities.

Beats importing JS frameworks doing the same thing.

SychO

Creative :D I've been wanting to look into svg for a while now
Checkout My Themes:
-

Potato  •  Ackerman  •  SunRise  •  NightBreeze

Bloc

Needs tweaking for sure, but quite interesting to work with. :)

Bloc

Heres another attempt, this one works better for the hour-stats of activity stats, by making it a bit more square(ish). Still using just a simple svg that also scales up and down.

Antechinus

Different. I'm not sure the current presentation is to my taste, but it's certainly worth playing with to see what you can get.

Bloc

Yeah, after toying with a bit I came to the conclusion that polyline works best on many values, as in a regular graph showing a tendency or curve. The last example looks more like bars - which can be done with regular html anyway.

Antechinus

Is there any saving in code with the polyline?

Bloc

Not really.. :) Its more code, not a lot, but its great to be able to actually show graphs.

This is a quick'n'dirty example that gives you teh last example:

echo '
<svg style="max-width: 100%; border-bottom: solid 1px #ccc; box-sizing: border-box; height: auto; margin-bottom: 1rem;" viewBox="0 0 240 60">
  <polyline
     fill="white"
     stroke="teal"
     stroke-width="0.5"
     points="0,60 ';

foreach ($context['posts_by_time'] as $time_of_day)
{
echo ($time_of_day['hour_format']*10) , ',' , 59-($time_of_day['relative_percent']/2) , '
',
($time_of_day['hour_format']*10)+10 , ',' , 59-($time_of_day['relative_percent']/2), '
';
}
echo '240,60
"/>';

foreach ($context['posts_by_time'] as $time_of_day)
echo '
<text y="7%" x="' , ($time_of_day['hour_format']*10)+3 , '" font-size="4" fill="#777">' , $time_of_day['hour_format'] , '</text>
';

echo '
</svg>';

Antechinus

Hey that's pretty clean. :) I wouldn't consider that bloat if there are good uses for it.

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

Advertisement: