There should be a "test installation" section

Started by EvilTessmacher, October 05, 2019, 09:38:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

EvilTessmacher

Quote from: Antechinus on October 06, 2019, 05:15:37 AM
Quote from: EvilTessmacher on October 06, 2019, 04:39:06 AMThis is what I meant when I said that there was important information left out. I wasn't sure which I was supposed to do first, the private directory or the database.

Doesn't matter. My 2c is do the directory first, because it requires reading less arcana, and if you get that sorted it will give you a feeling of accomplishment. :D

QuoteHere is where it falls short for me. What do I name it?

Doesn't matter. If you want to call the database my_old_mans_a_dustman and the directory the_hunting_of_snark nobody is going to stop you. It's just a name. Choose whatever seems right to you. Just make sure to connect words with an underscore. It's a convention, and reduces the chance of whoopsies.

QuoteBy the way, I haven't thanked you for your kind assistance yet. So, thank you for your kind assistance.

You should see some of the questions I asked when I was a beginner. :D

I didn't look around much when I was setting up my website, being more interested in getting that done without screwing anything up, but I decided to take a look around before I did anything. Scrolled almost all the way down the cPanel page, and what did I find? Nestled down there near the bottom was a section labeled "Softaculous Apps Installer" and inside that section is an "SMF" icon. I suppose that means there's an installer for the forum sofware there.  I don't know if I ought to use it or not, but it might simplify things if I do. Imagine that!

One thing I'm not clear on. Should the new folder (directory) be directly inside the main root (home/username), or should it be inside the "public_html" directory?

Arantor

It should be inside public_html, as this is the bit where you place HTML (and apps that make it) soit can be publicly accessible (rather than logging into your account with FTP or cPanel)

EvilTessmacher

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2019, 09:33:47 AM
It should be inside public_html, as this is the bit where you place HTML (and apps that make it) soit can be publicly accessible (rather than logging into your account with FTP or cPanel)

Why do they leave out important tidbits like this? Other than writing these instructions for people who already know what to do....

Thanks!

Arantor

I think in the history of time, they were presuming that the name would somehow be obvious to future generations, but of course in practice it isn't.

Illori

also i believe the folder name can change depending on how your host is setup.

EvilTessmacher

Quote from: Arantor on October 06, 2019, 12:59:01 PM
I think in the history of time, they were presuming that the name would somehow be obvious to future generations, but of course in practice it isn't.

As I mentioned before, it is one of my biggest pet peeves to ask a question in earnest, and get an answer that is aimed at someone who already knows. I've seen this for years on computer-related boards everywhere. You get some (pardon me) pimply-faced kid who knows everything, and he'll always get exasperated beyond belief that everyone else doesn't have his knowledge base. It's as if once one gets to a certain level of knowledge, they forget everyone else doesn't have that same knowledge. (off soapbox now)

It seems to me that some kind soul somewhere would see this, and fix it somehow. Sigh...

Quote from: Illori on October 06, 2019, 02:30:47 PM
also i believe the folder name can change depending on how your host is setup.

I'm gobsmacked! That actually makes complete sense! Who in the heck would have thunk it?

I'm at a point now where I am almost ready to attempt the creation of the database. Except, I'm almost a little afraid to do so.

Antechinus

Go ahead and create as many db's as you like, then destroy them just for giggles. They're only a concern once you have important stuff in them. Practice runs with empty ones are not a worry.

EvilTessmacher

Okay, after four attempts (I couldn't figure out what the URL needed to be to get the installer to run!) I keep getting to the part where the SMF installer is at 10% and is asking for the "Database Server Settings". 

I keep getting the error message:

Critical Error!
Cannot connect to the database server with the supplied data.

If you are not sure about what to type in, please contact your host.

I've tried everything, and there are two bits of information I am not sure about.

The first one is the "server name" and the second one is "table prefix"

Nowhere in any of the information I have is this information given, that I know of.

Unfortunately, there's no one to contact at my host. I don't think they're open until tomorrow.

I'm stymied.

shadav

did you create a database? you have to create it before installing smf
in your cpanel go to your databases, create or modify database

from here you should see your host username and then a box where you can enter the name for the database, this can be whatever you want it to be, I usually either use what it is or what script it is so either forum or smf
you may also need to assign a user to the db and grant it privileges but most times you don't have to as it automatically adds your hosting account as an admin

so server name is either localhost or in your cpanel it should tell you somewhere
table prefix unless you changed it should be smf_

EvilTessmacher

Quote from: shadav on October 06, 2019, 08:58:36 PM
did you create a database? you have to create it before installing smf
in your cpanel go to your databases, create or modify database

from here you should see your host username and then a box where you can enter the name for the database, this can be whatever you want it to be, I usually either use what it is or what script it is so either forum or smf
you may also need to assign a user to the db and grant it privileges but most times you don't have to as it automatically adds your hosting account as an admin

so server name is either localhost or in your cpanel it should tell you somewhere
table prefix unless you changed it should be smf_

Yes, I created a database. Or, at least I think I did. I went through the procedure in the "MySQL Database Wizard". As far as I know, that created the database. I did see the name I gave it at some point.

I'm not 100 percent sure, but I think doing the installation through the "app installer" inside cPanel created it's own database, and that's what it's looking for. I'm going to try those names, and see what happens.  I'll keep everyone posted.

EvilTessmacher

Okay, I think I have it now!

The database name was not the same one as the one I initially designated. The installer inside cPanel creates a new one, and that's the one it uses. All the other conflicts, such as server name, etc. are also resolved with the cPanel installer.

So, I have a forum now, and it's getting interesting to play with. Thanks for all your help everyone. The questions are not going to stop, as once I get this thing going, I am going to need some assistance adding things in when it gets to that point. Now all I have to do is get a few beta testers in, and let them make some suggestions.

Thanks everyone!!

Advertisement: