News:

Want to get involved in developing SMF, then why not lend a hand on our github!

Main Menu

Child board posts not counted

Started by Sir Osis of Liver, October 07, 2019, 09:46:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Osis of Liver

One of my regulars just came up with a glitch I've never seen before.  She has a parent board with two child boards, parent is empty, no messages.  When you post in either child board, it posts normally, but isn't added to post count and doesn't show up as latest post.  Is this intentional?
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Yes. It's a performance thing. Gets to be a bit heavy on large sites. There's a setting in admin if you want them counted.

Sir Osis of Liver

Unless I've missed one, all settings are correct.  If I post test message in parent, child posts are counted and displayed as last post.  If I empty parent, they're not counted and not shown as last post.

- R. Waters

Antechinus

Must admit I've never tried it with an empty parent.

Sir Osis of Liver

She's using it basically as a title over child forums on board index.  Told her to post something in it, some inroductory info or brief description, that should fix it.

- R. Waters

Arantor

There is a setting in the Manage Boards > Settings page to count child topics, but this only covers one level deep. Any deeper (parent > child > child) isn't ever counted for board index.

You do not need to add a topic to the parent board if there is a single level of child present.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Arantor on October 08, 2019, 02:12:11 AM
You do not need to add a topic to the parent board if there is a single level of child present.

"Count child's posts in parent's totals" is checked.  These are second level child boards, posts are only counted if there's a topic in the second level parent.

- R. Waters

Illori

what do you mean by second level child boards?

parent board
-> child board
--> grandchild board

if they are grandchild level they are not counted by default. there is a mod that can add this feature though.

vbgamer45

Community Suite for SMF - Take your forum to the next level built for SMF, Gallery,Store,Classifieds,Downloads,more!

SMFHacks.com -  Paid Modifications for SMF

Mods:
EzPortal - Portal System for SMF
SMF Gallery Pro
SMF Store SMF Classifieds Ad Seller Pro

Sir Osis of Liver

I'll have to check it again, but main complaint was that grandchild posts are not displayed as latest post if child board is empty, but they are if child has a topic with one post.  You can see the setup here.  She's been tinkering with it, will see if I can replicate on test install.

- R. Waters

Kindred

grandchild posts should never show up period - neither in post count, nor in "last post".
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

Sir Osis of Liver

The mod works on test install, but not on client forum, she already had it installed.  Will have to uninstall it manually and reinstall, see if that fixes it.

- R. Waters

Kathryn_

That's exactly what I did I uninstalled and then deleted the last installation then downloaded the mod and reinstalled. I did see that someone said grandchild boards are not counted ,period. I get it...but I am not going to redo the forum..so It will have to stay this way... :) 

Sir Osis of Liver

Grandchild posts are counted if the mod installs correctly.  You have TCB running, but don't think that should conflict with post count mod. Will try it on test install.

The two mods play nice together on test install.  Just checked your forum, posts in grandchild boards are being counted.

- R. Waters

Kathryn_

ok ...well i made an intro now I am working on a bigger problem  :)

Arantor

If it's the newer version of TCB, it definitely will conflict, to the point of breaking the sub-sub-board counting. Personally I'd argue that unless your forum is in the tens of millions of posts, you probably don't need sub-sub-boards...

Kathryn_

Oh well is there a setting I am missing to not have subforums on the index at all? Seems I went  through it and can't find a setting for it

Arantor

No, but the problem with counting isn't subforums, it's subforums-of-subforums. TCB doesn't break that IIRC but it's been so long I don't remember any more.

Sir Osis of Liver

TCB version 2 works fine with the child child count mod on my install, grandchild posts are counted.

- R. Waters

Arantor

Huh, I assumed the way I wrote it would have broken that, but neat, good to know.

Advertisement: