News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

News Paper Or Magazine Theme

Started by njtweb, October 09, 2019, 08:05:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

I'm thinking about starting a brand new site on the 2.1 platform. I will have a portal and will leverage article pages moreso than the forum itself. It will be a sports site and I want it to look like an online e-zine, (magazine) or newspaper type website. Ideally the theme I'd like should be black and white, ie white like a newspaper with black font.

Does anybody have a fully responsive suggestion?

Thank you to all in advance.

Dave J

If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

njtweb

Quote from: davejo on October 09, 2019, 09:30:15 AM
Something like this https://custom.simplemachines.org/themes/index.php?lemma=2441 would be great

I like the idea and that's the direction I want to go. However that particular theme is only for 2.0.

Dave J

Yes sorry I did know that but meant it would be great to have a similar one for 2.1

I used that for a long while a few years ago
If you want quizzes to add to the new SMF2.1 quiz mod go here . There are also walkthroughs in the forum to explain how to install them and other tips.

Kindred

that theme should be pretty simple to do under the 2.1 templates.... it's mostly just CSS adjustments
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

njtweb

Quote from: Kindred on October 09, 2019, 11:22:09 AM
that theme should be pretty simple to do under the 2.1 templates.... it's mostly just CSS adjustments

For me, I wouldn't know where to start w CSS and I don't want to have to tweak around, because in the end I will break something. Or I'll get something to look the way I want and something else will wind up screwed up. Ideally, I'd like an out of the box responsive theme that I don't have to tweak.

Illori

SMF 2.1 is responsive out of the box, so all themes based on curve2 will be as well.

given that SMF 2.1 is not yet a gold release there are not too many themes made for it.

also if you find a theme at this point or make one, it would most likely need some changes to it for when 2.1 goes gold.

njtweb

Quote from: Illori on October 09, 2019, 12:47:50 PM
SMF 2.1 is responsive out of the box, so all themes based on curve2 will be as well.

given that SMF 2.1 is not yet a gold release there are not too many themes made for it.

also if you find a theme at this point or make one, it would most likely need some changes to it for when 2.1 goes gold.

Thank you Illori for the info. In your opinion, if I did do a site now on the 2.1 platform and it does wind up going gold in 2020, would there really be drastic changes when the current version gets upgraded to the gold release? Such that a theme compatible with the current version would wind up in conflict?

Illori

i cant answer that as i cant tell the future. i dont know what changes may end up happening that may not be planned.

njtweb

Quote from: Illori on October 09, 2019, 01:17:26 PM
i cant answer that as i cant tell the future. i dont know what changes may end up happening that may not be planned.

Ok, appreciate the reply.

Antechinus

My guess, based on what I know about themes and RC's, is that it would be annoying but not actually drastic. Which is to say your lovely site might initially look a tad drastic, but as long as you know some CSS and PHP it shouldn't take too long to fix. You could do the necessary changes on a test site first, just to save stress. But it's up to you whether you want the hassle.

njtweb

Quote from: Antechinus on October 09, 2019, 01:40:36 PM
My guess, based on what I know about themes and RC's, is that it would be annoying but not actually drastic. Which is to say your lovely site might initially look a tad drastic, but as long as you know some CSS and PHP it shouldn't take too long to fix. You could do the necessary changes on a test site first, just to save stress. But it's up to you whether you want the hassle.

I definitely don't want the hassle. I know little, (enough) to be able to make changes to CSS with direction. I am pretty experienced with novice to advanced HTML coding. But I have zero knowledge of PHP and any time I touch it I break something.

Antechinus

Fair enough. We've all been there.

njtweb

Quote from: Antechinus on October 09, 2019, 02:07:38 PM
Fair enough. We've all been there.

That is why I normally ask the experts for your expertise. I always seek paid help when it comes to anything beyond what I know I'm capable of. I've broken my sites enough times in the past to know my limits.

Bloc

If you don't mind me asking, what do you consider a typical newspaper/magazine site? Seeing as SMF have forum/boards/topics as content..is it a "recent posts" thing you want to show on a frontpage and let the rest still be a forum but more or less look "magazine" like? Or is it tapping into TinyPortal's(as an example portal) added features of articles and blocks, plus a theme to go along with that?

In short: is it a look-like-a-newspaper theme or a content-transformed-into-newspaper theme you are looking for?

Advertisement: