News:

Join the Facebook Fan Page.

Main Menu

help newbie got hacked

Started by harpdog, October 09, 2019, 09:52:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harpdog

It is always going to happen, especially if you post you website on reddit. I am really new at web sites admins. I had a friend install the data base for me but I have no idea how he did it.
Here is what happened.
I started getting members by the hundreds post 500 to 600 posts a day on subject matter not even close to my sites content. I noticed attempted admin logins so I banned the ip address (most like a router since it started with 192 or similar.) so I banned that ip and started to delete the posts but the new posts started coming and coming by the hundreds still.
I went into the control panel to change my password and save my configuration as a Json file and some permissions. then not only did I get bad connection to server message but now I get this on my index page "Connection Problems
Sorry, SMF was unable to connect to the database. This may be caused by the server being busy. Please try again later." For me later has been all day and every 10 minutes or so I get and error report email , so far 54 of them<
I do not want to lose my posts which are not many but they are information posts that took my so much time to create but at the same time I want to get back to where I was before this nightmare began. . My site is for helping people but now I need help.
PLEASE.
I am not an educated web person so instructions should be as simple as possible
HELP

LiroyvH

It looks like the credentials to access your database are no longer correct.
If you used a generic user rather than a database specific user, changing the password of the hosting account may have done that. So in hosting control panel in the database section, create a user, add the user to the database and then change Settings.php or use repair_settings.php available on our downloads page (instructions are in the Online Manual).

If you don't know how to create a user for the database and/or how to add it, contact your hosting provider for assistance.
((U + C + I)x(10 − S)) / 20xAx1 / (1 − sin(F / 10))
President/CEO of Simple Machines - Server Manager
Please do not PM for support - anything else is usually OK.

Kindred

However, to be clear... you were probably not hacked.
You posted your site -- someone set a bot up to register, login and make posts...

that's standard spam tactics.

What version were you actually running? 2.0.15 or 2.1 RC2?

Once you get access back -- turn off registration completely until you have cleaned up the stuff....   and then read our FAQ article on SPAM
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

harpdog

I am using 2.015. I think u may be right. The guy that set me upasked me if I knew some I did not know and He did the rest.
How do u remove a bot?
you guys were spot on thanks

Sir Osis of Liver

https://wiki.simplemachines.org/smf/Spam_-_my_forum_is_flooded_with_spam,_what_can_I_do

Do what Kindred suggested, disable registration (Admin -> Registration -> Settings -> Method of registration employed for new members) until you get this sorted.  You can identify the bots from their posts, delete the accounts and all of their posts:  Admin -> Members -> click on member name -> Profile -> Delete this account.  You'll see a dropmenu that lets you delete the posts.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

harpdog

Oh man u guys are the best and u gave me a goal, note to self : Learn everything u can about simple machines. Bot came from a live sports schedule I posted, I remember the events after I posted as much as a 70 year old can anyway

Sir Osis of Liver

You old guys are a pain in the ass.  (Sir Osis won't be 70 until March ;)).

When you get things cleaned up backup your files and database, and do regular backups thereafter.  Worse comes to worse you can always dump your install and restore a clean backup.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: