News:

Wondering if this will always be free?  See why free is better.

Main Menu

Change reply link?

Started by njtweb, October 10, 2019, 12:59:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

njtweb

Is there a way to remove the topic subject from every comment and move the hyperlink to the reply #? See image attached.

If it's too involved I don't want to do it. I just think the topic subject being in every reply takes up a ton of unnecessary space. T

Thank you all in advance.

Illori

it is also a link, a very useful link especially if you use the new button to go to the next new post you have not read in a topic.

njtweb

Quote from: Illori on October 10, 2019, 01:02:57 PM
it is also a link, a very useful link especially if you use the new button to go to the next new post you have not read in a topic.

Hi Illori, thank you for reply. Basically, per the image in the OP. I want to get rid of the topic subject verbiage in each reply and have the link to each reply hyperlinked in the "Reply #" verbiage to the left of the date and time of said comment.

This part (bold) right under the topic subject in the comment
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2018, 10:41:46 AM »

Illori

would be in display.template.php beyond that I cant tell you right now.

njtweb

Quote from: Illori on October 10, 2019, 01:19:50 PM
would be in display.template.php beyond that I cant tell you right now.

Ok, no problem, but it is do-able without causing any conflict or breaking other resources?

Arantor

You're presuming don't use the feature to set a new title on a reply which has been a feature since SMF 1.0, as well.

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on October 10, 2019, 01:29:54 PM
You're presuming don't use the feature to set a new title on a reply which has been a feature since SMF 1.0, as well.

I'm sorry, I don't know what this means. Are you saying I can turn off the title in reply somewhere?

Arantor

No, that isn't what I said at all. I said you could change the title per message, like I just did above.

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on October 10, 2019, 01:36:52 PM
No, that isn't what I said at all. I said you could change the title per message, like I just did above.

Ok, I did know that. My thing is, I don't want any title. I want the link associated with the title to be hyperlinked with "Reply #xx" for every reply made, instead.

Arantor

Then you need to edit Display.template.php. I'd detail it but I'm on an iPad and this is why we put that option into 2.1. (No, it isn't as simple as just copy pasting the bits from 2.1)

njtweb

Quote from: Arantor on October 10, 2019, 01:42:00 PM
Then you need to edit Display.template.php. I'd detail it but I'm on an iPad and this is why we put that option into 2.1. (No, it isn't as simple as just copy pasting the bits from 2.1)

Ok, thank you. I appreciate the responses from yourself and Illori. I'll post in paid to see if anybody wants to do it.

Antechinus

It's a piece of cake. If you get stuck I'm fine with doing it as soon as I get some coffee into me.

njtweb

This is my display.template file.

Thank you!

Antechinus

Ok, will grab another coffee first. :)

Antechinus

Hey do you want to keep the << >> at each end of the date string?

You can have it like this:

« Reply #12 on: Today at 05:17:54 am »

or this:

Reply #12 on: Today at 05:17:54 am

or this:

Reply #12: Today at 05:17:54 am

Makes no difference to me.

njtweb

Like this would be great, with Reply #xx to be the hyperlink

Reply #12: Today at 05:17:54 am

Antechinus

No worries. That's what I think looks best.

njtweb

Antechinus

Ok, this should work. Let me know if there are any glitches.

Oh hang on. Forgot to ditch the << >> on the first bit.

ETA: Ok try it now. Attached again.

njtweb

Quote from: Antechinus on October 10, 2019, 03:54:01 PM
Ok, this should work. Let me know if there are any glitches.

Oh hang on. Forgot to ditch the << >> on the first bit.

ETA: Ok try it now. Attached again.

Thank you.

I got this.

An Error has occured

syntax error, unexpected '{'

Shambles

Line 414

if (empty($message['counter'])

Should be

if (empty($message['counter']))

Antechinus

njtweb

Quote from: Antechinus on October 10, 2019, 04:19:25 PM
Oh. That one. Ok, sorted. :D

Perfecto! Everything looks good. I'll play around and see how things work out as guests respond.

I really appreciate your expertise and help!

Antechinus

No worries. TBH I've been thinking of doing this on my own theme anyway.

njtweb

Quote from: Antechinus on October 10, 2019, 04:26:00 PM
No worries. TBH I've been thinking of doing this on my own theme anyway.

I think it provides a cleaner appearance and eliminates all of the space taken by the title in all of the responses.

Antechinus

Yes we did something similar in 2.1 Alpha and Elkarte. Saves a lot of space on mobile.

Advertisement: