Problem with my SMF website

Started by john10, October 11, 2019, 11:29:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

john10

I have been getting a lot of guest bots on my site overwhelming the CPU of my server and causing a dramatic slow down.  These attacks can peak at times and my site would come to a crawl.  How do I resolve this issue?  Thank you guys in advance.

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

To be honest, that's a bit hard to answer. SMF should be able to handle a pretty large load like that, if the bots are actually just crawling the forum, and if the hosting you are on can take it. 
Slava
Ukraini!

"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Illori

link to your forum?

what kind of hosting do you have? shared? dedicated? VPS?

john10

pebhmong.com

It is a VPS.

Right now seems to be ok.  But, my guests traffic is normally around 300.  When it happens, my guest traffic is 18,000.  There was an attack this morning.

Thank you.

Illori

is your VPS managed or unmanaged? if managed your host should be able to assist you further with this issue.

also you should upgrade to SMF 2.0.15 for security.

john10

Quote from: Illori on October 11, 2019, 11:50:35 AM
is your VPS managed or unmanaged? if managed your host should be able to assist you further with this issue.

also you should upgrade to SMF 2.0.15 for security.
I think it is managed, but an out of date server....and they could not help with the matter.  Updating to a new server would cost almost twice as much, so debating on  it. 

The last time I upgraded my SMF there was a lot of errors and couldn't do it.  I am not a programmer so I don't want to mess it up again.  Is there someone on here that can help me with this?  I will pay a fee if necessary.

@rjen

Check the IP adress range: I had something like that and it turned out to be all coming from China. Since my forum does not target Chinese visitors I ended up blocking all Chinese visitors via htaccess. Problem solved
Running SMF 2.1 with latest TinyPortal at www.fjr-club.nl

john10

Quote from: @rjen on October 11, 2019, 11:58:53 AM
Check the IP adress range: I had something like that and it turned out to be all coming from China. Since my forum does not target Chinese visitors I ended up blocking all Chinese visitors via htaccess. Problem solved
Yes, all those guest IP were from overseas.  Can you tell me the process on how to block these visitors with htaccess?  Thanks.

Illori

if your server software is not updated that would be a major security risk depending on how outdated it is. that should be priority to get adjusted. depending on your traffic I bet you don't need a VPS.

john10

Quote from: Illori on October 11, 2019, 12:05:49 PM
if your server software is not updated that would be a major security risk depending on how outdated it is. that should be priority to get adjusted. depending on your traffic I bet you don't need a VPS.
Ok.  thanks.

Sir Osis of Liver

Quote from: Illori on October 11, 2019, 12:05:49 PM
depending on your traffic I bet you don't need a VPS.

If the forum is the only thing running on the account, any basic hosting package would be more than sufficient.  If you need assistance upgrading or moving to a better host, drop me a pm.
Ashes and diamonds, foe and friend,
 we were all equal in the end.

- R. Waters

Advertisement: