Users' unread items - includes items on the Recycled board

Started by shawnb61, October 12, 2019, 03:14:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shawnb61

So, a very observant user today noted that he had a topic in his unread list - that as far as he could see, hadn't been updated since January.  He wanted to know why it was in his unread list.

I looked, and in fact, a moderator had updated that thread today.  Specifically, there were a couple junk posts that caught his attention so he deleted them (moved them to the recycled board). 

So, the posts existed with timestamps today.  BUT...  They were not visible to the users, they were now on the recycled board.  I suspect the filter for "unread" may need to exclude recycled board items. 

I couldn't find an existing report for this.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Arantor

That sounds more like board permissions are fundamentally questionable :(

Illori

Kindred

I thought the unread DID filter out the recycle board....

Maybe the user got notified of new posts in an email. But those posts were deleted before he could read them?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

shawnb61

This was 2.0.15. 

The last updates were months ago.   Like I said, a moderator noticed there was stale info & deleted posts today.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Illori

i know in the past when a topic was recently deleted and searched for quickly it could still be seen on this forum showing in the old board and not in the recycle board.

Arantor

The way Sphinx is implemented here relies on reindexing the forum periodically (rather than a live update to notify when updated)

This can be done better in 2.1 but I don't think that's the problem here.

shawnb61

I just tried to reproduce this on a vanilla 2.0.15 board and cannot reproduce it. 

Our permissions are flat and simple.  There are only 2 boards where guests & regular users don't have access, the recycled topic board and a 'backstage' board for admins & moderators; all other boards are wide open.  The user in question is a regular user, not a moderator or admin.  This wasn't an email, it was the 'unread posts since last visit' link.  The topic & deleted posts were otherwise not touched since January - other than yesterday's deletion of the last 2 posts. 

I'll noodle on this for a couple of days, & if I still can't reproduce, I'll close it out. 

shawnb61

Since I couldn't reproduce, I'm closing this out. 

Odd the audit trail is there, but since I cannot reproduce it, I can't fix it...   

Advertisement: