Any SMF theme designers who can help? I need to customize one that I have

Started by alitech, October 12, 2019, 03:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

alitech

Hi all

I am looking to get a skin fixed according to what I would like it to look like. Can anyone recommend a good designer who can fix responsive themes? Most of the themes that I have seen do not have custom CSS for mobiles, the same CSS is for bot desktop and mobile. I think I need additional CSS for a secondary break point. Or maybe break points are no longer relevant, I dont know. I just need to fix it so it looks better. Things like the left panel being removed completely for mobile and still work on desktop instead of appearing on top of the forum.

I want to fix the fonts, adjust the placement of some elements of the page.

I am on 2.0.15. I had to revert to 2.0.15 from 2.1 RC2 just to get some of the mods that were not available for 2.1.

T

Arantor

Virtually no SMF 2.0 theme is responsive, just because most of them are too old for that to be a thing.

The usual advice is to install the Responsive Curve mod which makes most themes work a bit better.

It would help to know more about what you're trying to do in terms of the theme, though.

Diego Andrés

SMF Tricks - Free & Premium Responsive Themes for SMF.

alitech

I just bought a theme on studiocrimes

https://evdomination.com/forum/ [nofollow]

This is my forum. It looks pretty bad on mobile. The text is too large. There are lots of things I would like to fix on the web version as well.

I really like the stuff done on www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk [nofollow]

I thought the theme I bought would look slightly similar but its no where near, it needs some work to make it look like ukbusinessforums

alitech

I just want the site to look nice clean and modern. The theme I purchased kind of provides this but in a broken way.

For instance, I would like the top navigation and the logo on top of the banner, Id like to have an area for advertisements on either the left or the right and a separate CSS that deals with these ads on mobile.

The theme changes a lot of things on the forum, even the administration is changed quite a bit.

Antechinus

It's not broken at all. It looks fine. In fact it looks pretty damned classy. You just want non-standard features added. That's hardly the fault of the theme's author.

The other site you linked to appears to be a custom job from the ground up.

alitech

Thanks for looking. The other site is not a ground up job, it is also a customisation of a paid them for xenforo.

I need to change a few things really. It does look nice, I need them to look slightly better.

E.g. If you look at this on a mobile, the font sizes dont change at all, its like desktop font sizes on a tiny screen, looks massive.

More troubling: If you open a post on mobile, the font is so large, everything seems to be screaming at you.

alitech

And just to clarify, I never said it was anyones fault :)

I just want to get some stuff customised according to my liking. I spoke to the theme developer who seems to be an ace guy, he just doesnt have time.

Antechinus

Ok, take a look in custom.css. There's a media query set for < 1024px wide. It's on Line 712.

.inner {
    font-size: 1.4em;
}

Change that to whatever you like. 100% would be a good place to start.

alitech

Thank you Antechinus.

I just changed the value as you suggested to 100% and then to 50%. It didnt change anything even after clearing the cache. There must be something wrong I am doing. I edited the theme directly from the admin area without downloading the file.

Antechinus

You might have got the wrong place in the file. It's still showing the original value. Just to be clear, the whole media query looks like this:

@media (max-width: 1024px)
{
dl.register_form dt, dl.register_form dd
{
width: 100%;
text-align: center;
}
#advanced_search dl#search_options
{
width: auto;
}
#basicinfo, #detailedinfo
{
float: left;
}
#creator dt, #creator dd
{
float: none;
text-align: center;
}
.studio_footer_adj, .studio_footer a img
{
margin-top: 10px;
}
.buttonlist ul li a span
{
height: 24px;
line-height: 24px;
}
.inner
{
font-size: 1.4em;
}
.poster li.stars, .poster li.avatar, .poster li.blurb, li.postcount, li.im_icons ul
{
display: none;
}
dl#ic_recentposts dd
{
display: none;
}
dl#ic_recentposts dt
{
}
}

It comes just before this one:

@media only screen and (min-device-width : 768px)  and (max-device-width : 1024px) and (orientation : landscape)
{
.search_theme
{
float: right;
}
table.table_list tbody.content td.lastpost
{
display: block;
}
.info
{
width: 70%;
}
}

If you're new to this stuff, it really is best to download and save the original file, then edit it. The admin centre thing works, but it's a bit of a PITA really. Too easy to get lost in it.

alitech

Thank you Antechinus for taking the time to explain this to me. I will give it another go tonight and see what I can do with this.

I would still appreciate if someone can recommend a designer as I haver other things apart from the font size I would like to get customised.

many thanks

sneakerwebdesign

Can anyone recommend a good Web designers who can fix responsive . no SMF 2.0 theme is responsive, just because most of them are too old .Other Applications / SMF FAQ / SMF forum is not working correctly by the server's address

Advertisement: