Advertisement:

Author Topic: SMF & Wordpress  (Read 707 times)

Offline newbie13601

SMF & Wordpress
« on: October 16, 2019, 10:58:32 AM »
I want a super simple site with one single page only. The top of the frontpage or landing page is the usual Wordpress stuff. The bottom of the same page will have my SMF forum.

Can this be done easily with WP/SMF or should I try other forums instead?

thanks

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
    • StoryBB/StoryBB on GitHub
Re: SMF & Wordpress
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2019, 11:05:27 AM »
If you’re going to have one page, why do you need WordPress? Everything you want to do could be done with SMF plus a portal addon at that point.
Don’t try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person. You haven’t had enough to know what it’s like.

No good deed goes unpunished / No act of charity goes unresented.

Offline newbie13601

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2019, 11:19:56 AM »
I have both sites setup and working. I don't want to spend time learning SMF.

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2019, 11:23:08 AM »
Well, to be honest, I’d personally simplify everything to just have one system with a common theme that doesn’t require patching every few weeks for the latest security holes (i.e. no WordPress) and that spending a little bit of time learning might actually save you a lot of time in the long run.

Especially as there is no solution for your current problem as described that doesn’t require core changes to SMF.
Don’t try to tell me that some power can corrupt a person. You haven’t had enough to know what it’s like.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• SMF Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2019, 12:14:19 PM »
You'll have the same problem with any forum software.  In the old days we did things like this with frames, but frames have long since fallen into disrepute. :(

Offline Arantor

• Resident Overthinker
  • SMF Friend
  • SMF Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2019, 01:15:16 PM »
You'll have the same problem with any forum software.  In the old days we did things like this with frames, but frames have long since fallen into disrepute. :(

Especially because they make accessibility hard, but they’re also a multi-way security risk.

Offline newbie13601

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2019, 05:05:04 PM »
I watched a youtube tutorial. I'm starting to like it. Just two things.

1-I don't want posters email addresses to be displayed.
2-The video didn't cover simple links. I get hxxp:wiseenergy.org/ [nonactive]

Offline shawnb61

• Developer
  • SMF Hero
    • sbulen on GitHub
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2019, 08:28:08 PM »
If you really want it that simple, there are some Wordpress forum plugins.  SMF may be overkill.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Offline mark lar

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2019, 06:42:17 AM »
SMF and WordPress are two different products that serve two different purposes. The best course of action might be to manually import SMF posts to WP articles, and include a “view the discussion” link to point people to the appropriate topic on your SMF board. Comments should disabled on WordPress to force people to use the SMF board for replies. In this way you leverage the strengths of WordPress and SMF while minimizing their weaknesses. Keep in mind, though, that WordPress does not support BBcodes, so you must import the rendered HTML and not the raw post data.

(Interesting that the first plugin on thw /search/smf page is a demo for a commercial product that only works with a test install of SMF. And the company has dozens of such demo plugins in the repository. I didn’t think those were allowed…)