News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

Calender Settings -> Time Zone

Started by Wichtlmex, October 19, 2019, 06:35:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m4z

What if it's a Livestream? I guess the time should be displayed in both the events TZ and the user TZ.
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

shawnb61

It does show in both today, yours & event's in parens, like this: 
QuoteNov 05, 2019, 04:25 AM – 05:25 AM (06:25 AM – 07:25 AM CST)

I wouldn't overthink it, it works pretty good.  The language is confusing, we gotta fix that.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

m4z

Yeah I know there were two, just didn't remember if it was user + forum or user + server, and didn't want to check on mobile. O:)
"Faith is what you have in things that don't exist."
--Homer Simpson

Es gibt hier im Forum ein deutsches Support-Board!

shawnb61

The way it's working now, as noted above (and consistent with what Kindred noted above) is that the "server" = the "forum default". 

I've done a ton of experimentation, and it works just fine.  Leave the offset at 0 (unless you're not running UTC).  Set "server" to your desired forum default. 

There really should only be 2 TZs - forum & yours.  And that's the way it's working.
Address the process rather than the outcome.  Then, the outcome becomes more likely.   - Fripp

Northern Ireland

Quote from: shawnb61 on November 05, 2019, 01:45:02 AM
The way it's working now, as noted above (and consistent with what Kindred noted above) is that the "server" = the "forum default". 

I've done a ton of experimentation, and it works just fine. 

my calendar is messed up AGAIN.  A member contacted me today to say that my calendar's event dates are a day off. 

Exact same issue I had when I installed the new RC2 script 10 days ago.  A day off for all entered events. 

I corrected the issue 10 days ago, by spending an hour tweaking all the dates .....and fixing the forum timezone to my host server, in Chicago. 

But stupidly a day ago, I reset the forum's timezone to that of my resident country (I am in central america).  My timezone is only one hour different from Chicago - so I thought an hour wouldn't be an issue.  I was mistaken, the calendar event dates are all messed up again.....they are again a day out.

Today, I reset the timezone again to Chicago  (where my server is)...presuming the calendar dates would correct themselves....frig, the event dates did not correct.

This is madness.  When so many folk are raising this issue, you can safely say there is an issue here.  Things aren't working fine.

I started today to look at calendar addons for wordpress, which the main part of my site is built on.  Great shame - because I like the look of SMF's events calendar.

shawnb61

Are you using whole-day events?   

(100% of my testing is specific hours here & there - I'll start looking at whole day events.)

Northern Ireland

yes, I am using whole day events, Shawn.   

Thanks for the reply (and all your work).

shawnb61

Are you using RC2?  Or are you using the latest version of the code from GitHub?

I am pretty sure there were fixes to 'all day' events made since RC2.  This might explain why we're seeing different results.

These are the things that look like they're working to me:
- events, when viewed in forum tz or custom user tz
- all day events, when viewed in forum tz or custom user tz

HOWEVER...  Holidays may show a wrong date if viewed in a timezone other than the forum timezone. 

I just logged this, the screenshots tell the tale:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues/5863

These are the known, current calendar/timezone issues logged:
https://github.com/SimpleMachines/SMF2.1/issues?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3Acalendar

(Note I just logged a very strange one with the date dropdowns, too...)

Northern Ireland

Quote from: shawnb61 on November 07, 2019, 09:51:40 PM
Are you using RC2?  Or are you using the latest version of the code from GitHub?

I am pretty sure there were fixes to 'all day' events made since RC2.  This might explain why we're seeing different results.

(Note I just logged a very strange one with the date dropdowns, too...)

Shawn, thanks for the reply.

I am using   SMF 2.1 RC2    I installed it about 5 weeks ago (download was from here at simplemachines site)

github site confuses me.   Where would I find the fixes there to download?

Advertisement: