News:

SMF 2.1.4 has been released! Take it for a spin! Read more.

Main Menu

White screen when I change the languaje to UTF8

Started by guiller_mote, October 21, 2019, 11:55:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

guiller_mote

Hi all, I hope somebody can help me.
I want to migrate my web to a cloud VPS, I'm not an expert on this but I have been able to setup the VPS and upload the BD and the files.
The web works fine but with wrong Spanish characters so I changed to UTF8 languaje and the issue was solved, the problem is that works while I keep admin user logged because just I logoff the page shown white screen. If I go to the admin panel writing index.php?action=admin I can logon and the web is again operative, obviously only for me. If I change again the languaje to spanish no UTF8, the web is fully operative even doing logoff, but some spanish characters are wrong.
Not sure if is something related the new VPS, I don't think so because I tried with two differents servers and the same issue, also I changed the PHP version to 7.0 just in case it was the problem.

I'm going crazy, please help.

d3vcho

Can you provide a link for the forum? Is there anything in your forum's error log?
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

guiller_mote

Thanks  d3vcho() for answering.
Sorry but I am still working with file hosts modified as I have not changed the domain to this new server. If you want to have a look to the production web no problem but it works without any problem forofosdelrunning.com.

I have been checking the error log and nothing appear there :(

Any idea and help will be appreciated.

d3vcho

And are there any errors in the server's log? If you already have the domain up and running, try running: What is repair_settings.php?
"Greeting Death as an old friend, they departed this life as equals"

guiller_mote

No errors in server d3vcho and the other issue I didn't write in this post because of not duplicate things is about repair_settings.php file, I get an error butnot sure if it is related:

Fatal error: Uncaught Error: Call to undefined function set_magic_quotes_runtime() in /srv/disk15/3192114/www/ffdr.atwebpages.com/repair_settings.php:170 Stack trace: #0 /srv/disk15/3192114/www/ffdr.atwebpages.com/repair_settings.php(25): initialize_inputs() #1 {main} thrown in repair_settings.php on line 170

Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen

This function was DEPRECATED in PHP 5.3.0, and REMOVED as of PHP 7.0.0. You are running something above PHP 7?

As for the original issue, a white screen after changing a language would imply an issue in the language files - what language pack are you using?
Slava
Ukraini!
"Before you allow people access to your forum, especially in an administrative position, you must be aware that that person can seriously damage your forum. Therefore, you should only allow people that you trust, implicitly, to have such access." -Douglas

How you can help SMF

Arantor

guiller_mote

Quote from: Aleksi "Lex" Kilpinen on October 23, 2019, 11:29:13 AM
This function was DEPRECATED in PHP 5.3.0, and REMOVED as of PHP 7.0.0. You are running something above PHP 7?

As for the original issue, a white screen after changing a language would imply an issue in the language files - what language pack are you using?

Yes, I have read about php version and I choosed PHP 7.0.33, the hosting doesn't allow me to choose another under that version.

I am installing SMF 2.0.15 spanish_es (UTF8) from admin panel, maybe it would be better to do it manually? For your info I am trying to change the language due to I am not able to fix the problem with spanish character, but currently in my production server I have data base and languaje as spanish_latin ISO-8859-1 (if you want you can check it in forofosdelrunning.com, all works fine).
I am thinking about the posibility that I have missing some server setup such as MYSQL, PHP or something like that as if I install the web in another administrated server all works fine, it is when I try to do it in a fresh instance of a cloud server (I don't want to put the name just in case is spam) Centos7. I'm afraid I'm not a linux expert and probably the problem is a server configuration issue :(

guiller_mote

Kindred

And did you convert your forum database to UTF8 as well before installing the uTF8 language pack?
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

guiller_mote

Quote from: Kindred on October 23, 2019, 03:46:29 PM
And did you convert your forum database to UTF8 as well before installing the uTF8 language pack?
Hi Kindred, thanks for your answer.
Yes, I did it, but just in case I did it again today and the same problem (done from Plesk Panel not from SMF admin panel, see why at the end of this in red).

I wanted to say that, althoug the subject of my topic say that, my main problem is why the same database with spanish_latin ISO-8859-1 works in the production server right now and in the new one not. The solution converting all data and languaje to UTF8 it was a second alternative but obviosly I apreciate a lot your help also on this althoug I would like to keep my data base as now as primary option. So I have seen a difference that perhaps could be a problem. All servers and hostings I tried successfully had as BD engine MySQL, this new server and all of fresh VPS linus servers I tried have Mariadb because is the BD engine by default. Is the first time I work with Mariadb so I can not ensure this but it could be a clue for you.
Another thing I tried and can be another clue is to convert the BD to UTF8 from the admin control panel and my surprise is I cannot do it and SMF has a warning that say:

Convert the database and data to UTF-8:
UTF-8 is an international character set covering nearly all languages around the world. Converting your database and data to UTF-8 can make it easier to support multiple languages on the same board. It also can enhance search and sorting capabilities for languages with non-latin characters.

Your messages table is using a fulltext index for use when searching. You cannot proceed in converting to UTF-8 until that index is removed. You can re-create it after the conversion has been completed.

Kindred

yes. that warning is correct.

so what you should do is delete the fulltext search index, run the convert and then recreate the search index....
Слaва
Украинi

Please do not PM, IM or Email me with support questions.  You will get better and faster responses in the support boards.  Thank you.

"Loki is not evil, although he is certainly not a force for good. Loki is... complicated."

guiller_mote

Well, after several days trying different things I solved the issue taking the language files from a clean package and replace them into the server. Not sure what was wrong in my files, perhaps when I download or upload the copy of files from my production server they were transmited bad.
Now all urls works less forum one, indexphp?action=forum, the same white page but now I don't know what language files can be affected, could you please let me know if some body know it?

GigaWatt

How did you download/upload the files? Did you use an FTP client and download/upload them one by one (I mean, just hit upload/download and left the FTP client to upload/download them one by one)?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

"A 500 error loosely translates to the webserver saying, "WTF?"..."

Arantor

It wouldn't be the first time that language packs contain invalid PHP...

guiller_mote

Quote from: GigaWatt on October 29, 2019, 11:13:53 AM
How did you download/upload the files? Did you use an FTP client and download/upload them one by one (I mean, just hit upload/download and left the FTP client to upload/download them one by one)?
Quote from: GigaWatt on October 29, 2019, 11:13:53 AM
Hi GigaWatt.
Yes I did that, I dowload from the production server and upload again to the new server one by one, both things with Cuteftp.

GigaWatt

Did you set the transfer mode to binary, ASCII or auto?
"This is really a generic concept about human thinking - when faced with large tasks we're naturally inclined to try to break them down into a bunch of smaller tasks that together make up the whole."

guiller_mote

Quote from: GigaWatt on November 02, 2019, 02:06:42 AM
Did you set the transfer mode to binary, ASCII or auto?
I have the transfer mode in auto, it is ok or I should change it?

GigaWatt

It's best that you set it to binary. The FTP client might f up line endings, not to mention corrupt attachments. Binary is always the preferred transfer method, no matter what you're transferring.

guiller_mote

Quote from: GigaWatt on November 04, 2019, 10:42:46 PM
It's best that you set it to binary. The FTP client might f up line endings, not to mention corrupt attachments. Binary is always the preferred transfer method, no matter what you're transferring.

Ok, I will do, thanks for your help.
And what I should transfer to avoid the blank screen in the forum page for guests? Or perhaps I should transfer the entire clear package from downloads section? What do you recomend me?
If you want check it, the domain is already transfered to the new server and you can see the fail in forofosdelrunning.com/index.php?action=forum page by yourself.

Advertisement: